Police Communications Operator
Job location: Boca Raton
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-13
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
Florida Atlantic University is seeking a Police Communications Operator, Boca Raton, FL.
With over 30,000 students from all 50 states and over 180 countries, 21 intercollegiate teams, 180 plus degree programs, and an administration that thrives on discovery and excellence, FAU is pushing the boundaries of higher education. Florida Atlantic's faculty and staff are trailblazers and innovators with a passion for finding creative solutions while advancing science, art, and technology in all disciplines. Our work environment is a hub of cultures from across the nation and the world, making FAU a place where collaboration flourishes.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Operate Police and other radio systems, monitor alarm, access control and camera systems. Dispatch officers and other emergency personnel as needed. Accurately document officer status, location and activity.
- Handle emergency and non-emergency telephone calls, prioritize calls and channel pertinent information to officers and supervisory personnel. Make necessary emergency notifications. Operate Criminal Justice Information Systems computer terminal to include inquiries and entering persons, vehicles and property at the direction of officers.
- Provide the public with assistance on complaints and informational services, lost and found property, bicycle registration, directions, fingerprinting and other services. Use tact and discretion. Observe strict confidentiality rules. Direct persons to proper supervisory level as necessary.
- Monitor messages directed to the department and information related to local criminal activity and officer safety.
- Demonstrate knowledge of police terminology and procedures, Florida criminal and civil law as it pertains to police operations, campus geography, police services and University policies and procedures pertaining to police operations.
Florida state certification on the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Florida Crime Information Center (FCIC) computer system required.
911 Public Safety Telecommunicator must be obtained within six months of employment.
Must possess the ability to communicate effectively, convey assurance, exercise tact and patience in stressful situations and dispatch emergency personnel.
Must be able to master a variety of communications equipment, such as radios, telephones, recording devices and CAD terminals efficiently.
Evident proficiency in typing is required.
Valid Florida driver's license required.Salary:$16.28 per hourCollege or Department:Campus PoliceLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:40 hours per week - rotating day, night and holiday shifts.Application Deadline: 2020-10-27-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Preference in appointment will be given to eligible veterans, spouses of eligible veterans, and certain family members of eligible veterans, in accordance with Florida Statutes, Section 295.07. Please submit your DD214 (Member 4 preferred) showing your dates and character of service with your application as an attachment or fax to 561-297-3915 or scan and email to [email protected], prior to the closing date of the position. If faxing your DD214, please also send an email to [email protected] to notify us that the form was faxed, make sure the email includes your name and the REQ# of the job that was applied to.
Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.