Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190739SPInternal RecruitmentNoWorking TitleSuperintendentAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with Experience ($58,000 - $61,000)Work ScheduleVaries/40 hours per weekJob LocationRaleigh, NCDepartmentAbout the Department
The Pamlico Aquaculture Field Lab specializes in aquaculture research, teaching and extension activities. The field lab is on 169 acres on South Creek with specialized aquaculture facilities and ponds.Essential Job Duties
The Research Operations Manager position will manage and oversee the operations at the field lab, including budgets, staff and other resources, to ensure that research projects are successfully initiated and completed. The position is responsible for facility planning and maintenance, inventory control, fiscal and administrative services, adhering to regulatory requirements, and determining staff assignments and training needs. The position at Pamlico Aquaculture Field Lab manages a staff of 1 personnel plus temporary labor and a large inventory of various agricultural and aquaculture equipment.Other Responsibilities
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience/Education
Bachelor’s degree and two years of general research experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications
General knowledge of aquaculture production (emphasis on finfish) and aquatic research. Knowledge of extensive pond aquaculture and intensive aquaculture (tanks). Knowledge of personnel and budgetary management. Knowledge of basic scientific methods including experimental design, uniformity, statistics and data collection, and knowledge of use and ability to operate and maintain most agriculture and aquaculture equipment. Knowledge of selection and application of pesticides.Preferred Qualifications
Bachelor of Science degree (or higher) in applied aquatic science, or aquaculture-related field, i.e. aquaculture, fisheries, applied aquatic ecology. At least two years’ experience in aquaculture research preferred.Required License or Certification
NC Public Pesticide Applicator’s license (Aquatic Pest/Plant) or the ability to acquire within 3 months of start.
Valid Driver’s License required.
Drive small farm tractor for dragging ponds or for mowing.
Applicant required documents: Resume and Contact Information for ReferencesPosition Number00044587Position TypeSHRAPosition Classification Band TitleResearch Operations ManagerPosition Classification Band LevelJourneyPosition Classification Salary Range$43,082 - $100,270Salary Grade Equivalency72Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.0Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherNon Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsMandatory - Medical EmergenciesTime Limited PositionNoTime-Limited Appointment Length (if applicable)Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment Id115101 - University Field LaboratoriesAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Research Operations Manager position.
- Bachelor's in any field and 2 years of general research experience
- Master's, Doctorate in a related general research field
- Master's, Doctorate in an unrelated field and 2 years of general research experience
- Associate's in any field and 4 years of general research experience
- Combination of post-high school education and experience to equal 6 years of experience in general research. (ex: 1 year towards a degree and 5 years of experience)
- High School diploma/GED and 6 years of general research experience
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and general research experience to equal 10 years. (ex. 3 years of high school and 7 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Do you have, or will you have by date of hire, a Bachelor of Science degree (or higher) in applied aquatic science, or aquaculture-related field (i.e. aquaculture, fisheries, applied aquatic ecology), with at least 2 years’ experience in aquaculture research?
- * Please briefly describe your knowledge and/or experience in aquaculture production (emphasis on finfish) and aquatic research.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your knowledge and/or experience in personnel and budgetary management.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your knowledge and/or experience in extensive pond aquaculture and intensive aquaculture (tanks).
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a NC Public Pesticide Applicator’s license (Aquatic Pest/Plant) or the ability to acquire within 3 months of start?
- * Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- Contact Information for References