School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Full Job Description
We have an opening to fill a full-time dishwasher (lab technician) position. We are looking for a qualified candidate to become part of our team working in a research laboratory located in the heart of Duke University Medical Center.
The ideal candidate will have experience in working in a dynamic laboratory setting, under possibly hazardous conditions (e.g. chemicals). He/She will be well-trained to maintain safety conditions and will be passionate for doing work that makes things move forward. The goal is to optimize lab procedures and succeed in producing reliable and important results that can be used to make a difference.
Responsibilities (General Daily Duties)
- Clean and prepare glassware and apparatus to ‘ultra-clean,’ contaminant-free specifications for trace-level analyses utilizing a variety of washing techniques/apparatus (e.g. commercial lab programmable dishwashers; hand-washing; chemical solvent rinses; kiln-drying; and muffle oven treatments)
- Maintain and organize glassware, separatory funnels, and other extraction inventories
- Provide support to extraction analysts
- Complete assignments working under prescribed procedures (standard operating procedures, established quality control parameters, EPA series methods, etc.)
- Record data and results in specified forms (paper and electronic) with accuracy and integrity
- Organize and store applicable chemicals according to safety instructions
- Ensure that all safety guidelines are followed strictly at all times and maintain a clean and orderly environment
- May maintain equipment and assist in ordering laboratory supplies
- Ability to understand and perform fundamental analytical chemistry tasks along with good quality control measures
- Effectively communicate, summarize and present information as well as respond to questions from groups such as management and colleagues
- Experience in handling laboratory equipment and potentially dangerous substances (e.g. flammable, caustic, corrosive chemicals, etc.)
- Knowledge of corrective action and preventative measures as well as good documentation practices
- Good physical condition and endurance
- Working knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel) and database systems
- Ability to work autonomously and under pressure as well as cohesively within a group
- Knowledge of scientific discipline, relevant technical skills, and basic laboratory equipment preferred
- Organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to follow direction required
- Safe handling of toxic chemicals and maintaining a clean and orderly work space
- Use of personal protective equipment and the exercising of laboratory safety practices
- College chemistry education (including lab) and/or equivalent experience preferred
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- laboratory: 6 month required, 1 year (Preferred)
- Associate (Preferred)
- One location
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.