Research Assistant II - Systems Neurobiology Laboratory, Dr. Edward Callaway
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Research Assistant II is responsible for research support and some lab management duties in support of the Principal Investigator’s (PI) studies. The position is responsible for maintenance of neurobiology techniques in support of the lab and the Principal Investigator's (PI) research goals. Manages lab ordering. Manages the mouse colony and oversees other personnel conducting colony management and genotyping. Responsible for management and maintenance of molecular biology, cell culture, histological processing, microscopy and surgical supplies, equipment and facilities. Performs molecular biology and cell culture, brain sectioning, staining, and microscopy. Develops new molecular biology and histological staining protocols. Oversees others and assists in the general laboratory maintenance.
(75%) Research Support
- Management of mouse colony
- Performs molecular biology and cell culture, brain sectioning, staining, and microscopy
- Develops new molecular biology and histological staining protocols
(25%) Lab Management and Support
- Stocking, ordering, maintaining, and keeping track of resources, chemicals, and supplies; manages, maintains and oversees inventory
- Placing and approving orders on supplies; managing orders from other members of the lab
- Performing regular maintenance and calibration of equipment; ensuring equipment is operational; arranging for repairs when necessary, or delegating maintenance or repairs to group members, as appropriate
- Organizing cleanups
- Training of incoming people, as appropriate
- Communication with vendors and Salk personnel, operational and procedural
- Ensuring and overseeing lab safety and with its compliance
- Trains staff on specific molecular biology and related techniques. Oversees and trains laboratory personnel in proper use of laboratory equipment and equipment maintenance. Assists in hiring process of new staff.
- Maintains logbooks for major equipment
- Writes laboratory protocols for experiments and ensures their compliance within the laboratory.
- 2 years of experience in a lab with a biochemical or molecular biology background
- Experience with mouse colony management and genotyping
- Mouse tagging and tailing and genotyping by PCR
- Experience with brain sectioning and staining
- Experience with cell culture
- Experience with microscopy
- Bachelor's degree in biological or chemical sciences.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry techniques
- Ability to perform complex experiments and techniques with high levels of reliability and accuracy within time constraints.
- Ability to design experiments and debug protocols, with help from supervisor.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize experimental and lab management work
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities and able to prioritize.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
This position requires constant handling, seeing, sitting, touching/feeling, analyzing, calculating, reasoning, and working inside.