Accounting Assistant, Account Payable/Grants
Department:: Budget and Accounting Services
Locations:: Des Plaines, IL
Posted:: Sep 25, 2020
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full Time Staff
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, process invoices for payment. Maintain records, reconcile statements, communicate with vendors and enter data for printing of checks and reports. Assist in grant accounting tasks, to include posting journal entries, preparing grant financial reports, and entering grant budgets. Assist with ensuring expenditure compliance with grant requirements.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review invoices for appropriate approvals, match invoices to vouchers or purchase orders, verify appropriate ledger account coding, and verify budget availability prior to processing payment.
- Verify that completed purchase orders are closed in the Banner system.
- Enter invoices and direct pay vouchers for printing of checks and related reports in compliance with 1099 requirements.
- Review invoice and supporting documents for required approval in conformance with procedures.
- Oversee the weekly processing of Accounts Payable check runs including setting up new venders in systems, entering payment and account numbers, reviewing requests for appropriate signatures, checking bank account balance for check creation, etc.
- Respond to basic employee and vendor inquiries.
- Maintain vender files.
- Track and monitor Board Approved purchases.
- Assist with month end closing and the year-end audit preparation, including accounting adjustments related to grants.
- Processes and submits retiree health insurance reimbursements for staff and administrators.
- Responsible for preparing and sending grantor reimbursement requests.
- Responsible for preparing and supporting, on an annual and quarterly basis, external and internal grant financial reporting.
- Responsible for preparing account reconciliations and audit schedules, including the Schedule of Expenditure of Federal Awards (SEFA).
- Responsible for monitoring grant expenditures to budgets in compliance with funder guidelines throughout the fiscal year.
- Responsible for expense reclassifications, expense allocations, and payroll redistributions.
- Prepare and post grant budgets and other journal entries as needed.
- Preform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Associates degree in Bookkeeping, Accounting, or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- Two years of experience in accounting or a related area is required. Banner experience is preferred.
- Experience with reporting requirements for federal and state grants is preferred.
- Ability to utilize a keyboard to enter, retrieve, and manipulate date is required.
- Advanced word processing (Microsoft Word preferred) and spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel preferred).
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deliver services in an environment where there is an emphasis on customer service are required.
- General office environment. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Supervisor of Accounting Services. Administrative supervision is received from the Controller.
Functional supervision may be exercised over student employees.
HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.