Building Service Worker (Custodian)
FORT VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (FVSU), a state and land-grant institution of the University System of Georgia, invites applications for the position of Building Service Worker (Custodian) in the Department of Facilities Operations.
Fort Valley State University, the only 1890 land-grant university in Georgia, is a comprehensive institution that provides an education to over 2,800 students including graduate students. The university is located in the town of Fort Valley in Peach County, the original site of the state's peach industry. Its 1,365-acre (5.52 km2) campus is Georgia's second-largest public university in area.
The Building Service Worker performs manual work in the custodial care of Fort Valley State University buildings and facilities, including cleaning and minor maintenance work. Receives direction from a supervisor who checks for adherence to established practices and schedules.
- Sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, stripping and waxing floors
- Vacuuming and cleaning carpets
- Cleaning restrooms, dusting, and replenishing supplies
- Emptying trash receptacles
- Washing windows, walls, glass doors, and classroom equipment ( may work from a ladder)
- Reports maintenance needs
- Utilizing chemicals and supplies in a safe and prescribed manner
- Occasional mandatory overtime
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- Experience directly related to the responsibilities of the position
- Ability to work occasional evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Basic computer skills to access emails, timecard, and required training programs
- Basic mathematical skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's):
- Knowledge of proper methods, techniques, materials, tools, and equipment used in modern custodial work
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) effectively and appropriately with others
- Ability to read and follow detailed written and verbal instructions
- Ability to use mechanical equipment, such as carpet cleaner, floor scrubber, vacuum, tools, etc.
- Ability to use various chemicals and cleaning agents
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working on a college/university campus
This position may be exposed to weather conditions, hazardous materials, extreme cold and heat, fumes, dust, noise and inadequate or poor quality lighting.
Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time, bend/stoop, and reach above shoulder level.
Fort Valley State University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate against applicants, students or employees on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or marital or veteran status.
Fort Valley State Universityhttps://fvsu.applicantpro.com