Biological Scientist II
Job no: 514838
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:60210000 - AG-SOIL AND WATER SCIENCE
Biological Scientist IIJob Description:
- Maintain proper function and organization of the laboratory, including, but not limited to, the following duties: ordering (and tracking receipt of) supplies, ensuring maintenance/calibration of laboratory equipment, organizing SOPs, assuring regulatory compliance, and updating records. Prepare chemical reagents and solutions, clean and autoclave glassware, and ensure overall laboratory cleanliness and the proper overall functioning of the laboratory.
- Responsible for field research administration including but not limited to setting up trials on research stations, farmlands, maintaining the trials, collecting data from the field trials, coordinate field campaigns with graduate students, and maintaining field equipment and vehicles.
- Participate and assist in laboratory and field research under the supervision of the principal investigators. Typical activities will include assisting in chemical analyses of soil and plant samples, facilitating laboratory incubation experiments, participating in field campaigns, entering data, analyzing data, etc. Due to the dynamic nature of the work performed by the two groups, additional tasks may be required, such as the development of novel technologies and methods.
- Conduct safety-related tasks, including maintenance of MSDSs (Material Safety Data Sheets), yearly EH&S inspections, and monthly safety self-audits, are also part of the position responsibilities. Prepare detailed and accurate notebooks and records.
- Train graduate and undergraduate researchers in the laboratory and the field on research methods, operations of research equipment, lab safety, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).Expected Salary:
Up to $40,000; Commensurate with experience
Pay Range Based on Market:
Lower reference point: $33,800 Midpoint: $43,900 Upper Reference point: $54,000Minimum Requirements:
Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field; or a master's degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; or a bachelor's degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience.
Valid Florida driver licensePreferred Qualifications:
Master's degree in environmental science, agronomy, soil science, or a closely related field.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 12 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 27 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time