Biological Scientist II
Job no: 514164
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28040000 - VM-LACS
Biological Scientist IIJob Description:
- Works closely with faculty and staff to implement the research program; Pharmacokinetics and Clearance Studies of Drugs in Horses in Training. Includes a high speed treadmill and equipment to monitor various metabolic functions of horses at exercise. Coordinates, supervises and schedules all functions for the program. Assist in developing equipment, computer support and data processing for evaluation of performance in horses. Develops, maintains, and manages a computerized data base of all research findings; records information, etc.
- Performs biological experiments on animals, primarily equine, conducts independent research activities involving collection and analysis of animal data for experiments, biological specimens for testing, analyzes studies and procedures on collected samples.
- Responsible for writing or editing draft reports of research findings for publication, i.e., writing interpretation of data, preparing graphs and tables.
- Responsible for budget management. Will develop, oversee all expenditures. Maintain laboratory and animal inventories, orders all needed equipment and supplies; assures implementation of preventive maintenance and schedules and arranges for repairs of equipment used in research programs.
- Supervises OPS/ Student Assistants in proper laboratory and animal handling procedures for designed research program. Provide technical advice and knowledge to faculty and other personnel.
- Assists graduate students in conduct of studies and ensuring proper conduct of study and care of animals.
- Other related duties as required.
$43,900 - $54,750.00 annually; commensurate with education and experienceMinimum Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience ;or a Master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field.Preferred Qualifications:
1. Experience in handling horses
2. Specialized experience with race training is preferred
3. Experience with training horses on high speed treadmill
4. Knowledge of basic statistics
5. Microanalytical techniques
6. Computer proficient
7. Ability to collect research data, perform initial analysis, summarize data
8. Understand laboratory assays and analysis
9. Ability to supervise other personnel
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and list of references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:Yes
Advertised: 12 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 19 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time