Immigration Specialist I
Job no: 512832
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Office/Clerical, Student Affairs/Services, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:20010000 - IP-INTERNATIONAL CENTER-GEN
Immigration Specialist IJob Description:
The University of Florida International Center (UFIC) is accepting applications for an Immigration Specialist I to serve as a Designated School Official (DSO), working as a multi-dimensional F-1 student adviser in the International Student Services (ISS) unit of the UFIC. This position maintains knowledge of the F-1 federal regulations and UF policy to provide F visa immigration advising, shares in processing Forms I-20 for initial/transfer-in and current students.
Specific duties include:
- Process initial Forms I-20 for 1/6th of the newly admitted international students.
- Ensure accuracy in immigration documents filed with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Track international student initial immigration files and maintains documentation for I-20 packages.
- Serve as DSO and International Student Adviser (ISA) for 1/6 of the international student population.
- Responsible for interpreting USCIS regulations and UF policy to maintain compliance with federal requirements.
- Serve as the liaison between USCIS, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and other government agencies, UF faculty, staff, other institutions, and international students.
- Comply with all reporting requirements for Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- Advise university departments, staff, and faculty to resolve specific immigration problems and employment eligibility issues as they affect international students at UF.
- Disperse information to the above regarding policies, rules, and regulations.
- Share responsibility for organizing and presenting programs and workshops pertaining to initial Form I-20 processing, immigration rules, and regulations to university departments and international students.
- Maintain records on international students as required by federal regulations and UF policy.
- Assist colleagues, UF faculty members, and UF staff members in resolving immigration issues.
- Liaise with various offices on campus (to be assigned among advisers) to ensure smooth procedures for processing newly admitted international students and monitor UF’s compliance with federal regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned, such as backing up on phone coverage or front desk coverage as needed, etc.
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area and one year of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor or master degree
- Experience with immigration regulations
- Experience with UF rules and regulations
Requires background check due to access to confidential student data/information; subject to Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD-214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:No
Advertised: 12 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 22 Oct 2020 Eastern Daylight Time