Nurse Manager - Staffing Resource Office
Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-22
Manages the operations of a patient care area(s) in the provision of nursing care to patients and their families. A transformation leader that directs the activities of patient care and support staff.
First & Second shift available, need to be able to flex and rotate as needed. On call as needed.
Manages and supports the day to day operations of assigned patient care area(s). Supervises all nurses and support staff including but not limited to Registered Nurses, Patient Care Assistants and Technicians, Health Unit Coordinators, and related clerical staff. Oversees the preparation of schedules, utilizing wage and flex staff as appropriate. Adjusts according to patient flow.
Accurately forecasts and manages budget for the unit and ensures that any expenditures are within the budget. Knowledge of related benchmarks, such as Paid hour per patient day and Worked hour per patient day.
- Develops programs which address continuous quality improvement, system enhancement, streamlined processes, patience experience and overall nurse performance.
- Ensures compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements specific to the unit supervised. Ensures that the highest quality nursing care is provided to patients and their families.
- Develops and manages partnerships with clinicians, physicians and administrative counterparts to achieve common goals. Promotes integration of multidisciplinary work groups.
- Manages recruitment, performance, team member engagement and retention activities of assigned staff.
- Implement the UVA shared governance nursing model at the unit level ensuring shared decision making that affects nursing practice, quality improvement, professional development and research.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: Bachelor of Science in Nursing from accredited nursing program, Master's degree in related field within 5 years of hire.
Experience: At least 3 years of progressively more responsible experience as a registered nurse in a patient care environment required, five years preferred.
License/Certification: License to Practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia required. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required. Valid Virginia Driver’s license required for managers with responsibility operations in multiple locations.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping/walking, climbing (ladder, steps) and driving. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull > 100lbs. May be exposed to fumes, chemicals, vibrations, humidity, cold, heat, noise, outdoor climate, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.