PHYS – Lab Specialist Intermediate
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2020-10-12
Lab Specialist Intermediate employees engage in laboratory research by performing complex lab and research related tasks. They are distinguished from Lab Specialist employees by their additional responsibilities related to developing, designing, and conducting increasingly complex research projects. They perform complex tasks independently. They have the authority to adapt methods and procedures to meet the needs of research. They may supervise support personnel and manage budgets.
The High Energy Physics Group at the University of Virginia is seeking a Laboratory Specialist Intermediate to work on evaluating, developing, and fabrication technologies used in high energy particle detection systems. The Specialist will work closely with the PI and other lab members to develop instrumentation and testing procedures and assist in training and supervision of personnel to complete tasks related to High Energy Physics research projects. The work includes broad responsibilities, such as:
- Design, testing and troubleshooting of various analog and digital electronics systems in consultation with project engineers and scientists. This includes schematic design, PCB layout, component selection and the design and construction of related optical and mechanical systems.
- Software development for data acquisition and automated control of instrumentation.
- Testing and evaluation of materials and sensors for applications in particle detection systems.
- Configuration and programming of embedded systems.
- Installation and support of electronics systems and instrumentation locally and at remote locations.
- Supporting the laboratory infrastructure used in High Energy Physics research projects.
- Specifying order details, obtaining quotes and working with vendors to purchase components, services, and specialized equipment.
This is a part-time position working 32 hours/week with an anticipated salary of $25.00/hr.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for “PHYS – Lab Specialist Intermediate”. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “PHYS – Lab Specialist Intermediate”. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
For questions about this position or the application process please contact Rich Haverstrom, Faculty Search Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
Qualifications & Abilities:
- 5+ years of demonstrated relevant experience. Competency in design, fabrication, and testing of analog and digital electronics systems, circuit testing, troubleshooting and repair. A 4-Year Degree in studies related to electronics, computing, or software technologies is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in PCB layout work, including Altium design software.
- Experience with programming and managing systems in LINUX and Windows environments. Software development experience in C++ and PYTHON and development of instrumentation automation software incorporating TCP/IP and serial link protocols, I2C and SPI buses, etc. Some LUA programming experience is preferred.
- Experience with use of laboratory test equipment such as high-performance oscilloscopes, pulse generators, LASERS, power supplies, amplifiers, digitizers, and other analog and digital test equipment.
- Configuration and programming of embedded systems using ARM-based SOC devices. Familiarity with Xilinx tools is preferred.
- Self-motivated and self-directed, able to work independently to meet objectives and schedules. Possess time-management skills to satisfy requirements on multiple projects.
- Good communication skills, ability to maintain good working relations with a diverse set of collaborators including students, faculty, engineers, and international scientific collaborators.
Education: Bachelor's degree in related science
Experience: At least five years’ experience. Master's degree in related field may substitute for required experience. 6 year's experience preferred.
Physical demands described or implied within this job description are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with co-workers, external collaborators, and suppliers.
- Sit and/or stand at workbenches/workstations, perform computer tasks and paperwork, sometimes for extended periods of time.
- Performing maintenance-related activities on instrumentation, equipment and facilities.
- Performing production-related activities.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to travel for periods up to several weeks and to perform installation and in-situ testing of electronics components at both US-based and international locations.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.