Building Service Worker (138413)
Building Service Worker
Department – To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Employees at this level perform custodial work required in the routine cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting, and upkeep of all designated interior and exterior building or spaces according to set standards and procedures. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor.
A Building Service Worker typically:
• Keeps floors free of dirt and debris by regularly scheduled mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, and scrubbing of floors and other surfaces;
• Cleans, buffs, waxes, renovates, and renews floor surface finishes using appropriate tools and equipment;
• Cleans and dusts furniture, tables, exhibit cases, fixtures, windows, doors, trim, and related furnishings; cleans and waxes furniture as necessary;
• Washes and/or cleans windows, walls, and door glass; washes interior glass, including partitions, framed pictures, signage, and doors;
• Moves furniture, supplies, miscellaneous equipment, and sets up meeting space as directed; sweeps or shovels snow from steps and walks at building entrances and connecting walks; spreads ice melts as needed;
• Locks and unlocks doors to buildings, classrooms, lecture rooms, or offices;
• Cleans, disinfects, sanitizes and services restrooms facilities and fixtures and replenishes supplies;
• Cleans chalkboards and/or whiteboards including trays;
• Collects and places debris and recyclable material removed from buildings in containers for removal; empties authorized waste containers and checks and/or replaces liners;
• Reports items that need repair; monitors and/or notifies of diminishing supplies;
• Provides cleaning services for carpet maintenance; (i.e., bonnet buffing, extraction, spotting, and pilating);
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
High School graduation or equivalent
For more information about this classification:
Building Service Worker positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $15.51 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Building Service Worker. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:Illinos Human Resources Operations Category:7-Service Operations Title:Building Service Worker (138413) Open Date:10/12/2020 Close Date:10/19/2020 Organization Name:Illinois Human Resources Operations