Director of Strategic Marketing Communications
Date: October 9, 2020
Title: Director of Strategic Marketing Communications
Description: Reporting to the Vice President of College Advancement, the Director of Strategic Marketing Communications is responsible for leading the development of integrated marketing communications plans, strategies, and measurements; elevating the college’s profile; raising awareness and visibility of the College; and advancing its reputation. The Director will implement brand messaging, develop strategic communications programs including media relations, ensure strategic alignment among all external and internal communications, and evaluate budgets for greatest return on investment. The Director will have responsibility for internal campus-wide communications, recognizing internal constituents as key influencers.
- Accountable for leading the development of a strategic, college-wide integrated marketing communications plan, including but not limited to advancement, enrollment, academics, athletics, and high-profile centers; creates and implements strategies to position the College in achieving its short- and long-term goals.
- Supports a consistent internal and external brand message that is reflected across all programs, as well as select internal marketing programs.
- Shapes key messages to ensure consistent messaging across channels to improve awareness of the College’s priorities, raise its visibility, and protect its reputation.
- Supports donor relations and stewardship programs, providing direction on message development and support for fundraising campaigns, the President’s Report, and financial announcements.
- Works collaboratively with the Vice President, the Editorial & Creative Director, the Digital Communications Director, and the marketing consulting firm to manage the College’s brand and advertising, ensuring the College gets the greatest visibility and impact from the investment.
- Supports College leadership by researching, assessing, planning, acting upon, and tracking a wide variety of issues and opportunities that do or may affect the College. Responds to and advises campus leaders on proactive and reactive communications needs arising at the most senior levels of the College on issues that pertain to their areas.
- Serves as a member of the College’s crisis team; assists in emergency management training exercises and crisis preparedness activities. Acts as the College’s principal spokesperson.
- Supervises the media relations staff in promoting the College, raising its visibility in key markets, and managing potential issues of concern.
- Develops a network of and maintains a strong relationship with internal and external influencers.
- Develops a cadre of thought leaders on campus and among the alumni; works to position same.
- As a representative of the College, must comport oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
- Comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational regulations.
- Participate in significant campus activities including Welcome Weekend, True Blue Weekend, and Commencement Weekend.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements for this position are a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field. A Master’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, business or a related field is preferred. A minimum of ten years of experience managing marketing and communications in a complex; dynamic environment is required. Experience in higher education is preferred.
The director must have exceptional strategic planning skills, including a demonstrated ability to use multiple data to create insights to shape direction.
Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable by the College.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest marketing strategies and channels.
- Extensive experience in brand positioning and execution to various stakeholders.
- Strong budgeting and cost-management skills and an ability to maximize impact.
- Strong listening skills, combined with effective, articulate, and persuasive public speaking.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Proven manager who can independently and effectively prioritize and lead multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated superior news judgement and persuasive verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Experience working with the media in proactive positioning and crisis management.
- Proven collaborator.
- High level of integrity, trustworthiness, respect.
- Ability to research options, think creatively, and make sound decisions.
- Experience handling sensitive issues and high visibility projects with success in implementing sound internal and external communications strategies while navigating within a complex organization.
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
To apply for the Director of Strategic Marketing Communications position, please click here. All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.