Posting #: 2734
Position Status: Full-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: School of Leadership and Education Sciences, Administrator
Position Title & Department:
Research Associate; School of Leadership and Education SciencesPosting #
The Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education is a non-profit R&D institute powering K-20 inclusive innovation. We are affiliated with the School of Leadership & Education Sciences at the University of San Diego, and engage in pioneering research and evaluation, development of innovative curriculum and technologies, and support professional learning grounded in the learning sciences. Our mission fosters inclusion, diversity and social justice in education. Our team includes researchers, designers, technologists and faculty.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
This is a full-time, benefits based temporary assignment with an anticipated end date of June 30, 2021.
The research associate position’s primary purpose is to conduct research or evaluation studies, as assigned, on behalf of the Jacobs Institute for Innovation in Education (JI). The Research Associate will work with the JI team and under the general guidance of the principal investigator of the PI and supervision of the Director of Research & Development.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Conducts thorough literature review and information research, utilizing institution library, archives, and collections, internet-based information, and other sources of information, to collect, record, analyze, and evaluate facts.
• Conducts field research through interviews, surveys, focus groups, and other site methodologies to collect, record, analyze, and evaluate facts.
• Apply descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, and predictive statistics to generate new knowledge and inform practices.
• Design research and evaluation studies and prepare project proposals in collaboration with the Director of Research & Development and other researchers.
• Disseminate information related to JI research and evaluation projects to research, practitioner, policy, and/or stakeholder communities through publications, presentations, workshops, forums, and/or social media. Duties include the preparation of conference proposals, journal articles, and/or technical reports, papers, or records.
• When appropriate, serve as Project Lead for research and/or evaluation projects and supervise research assistants.
Under the general guidance of the Director of Research & Development, manage all logistical and methods-related aspects of the assigned research or evaluation projects and engage in relationship building with district leaders and funders. - (Primary)
• Participate in full-staff, research team, project team meetings, and others as assigned.
• Serve on JI and/or university committees as assigned.
• Represent JI in a professional manner in all activities.
• Complete tasks—large and small—as needed to advance the work of the center.
• Present findings at conferences and meetings, as needed.Job Requirements:
• Earned doctorate in education, psychology, statistics, or related field.
• At least one year of rigorous research and/or evaluation experience in K-20 education settings, including the assessment of instruction, student learning, cognitive or non-cognitive development, or evaluation of field-initiated innovations.
• Experience designing research study and publish journal articles or white papers.
• Two years of additional postdoc experience designing and conducting educational research and evaluation projects.
• One year of applied experience conducting advanced quantitative data analyses (e.g., HLM, SEM, mediation and moderation tests, network analyses, machine learning).
• Knowledge of advanced research design methods
• Experience writing proposals to seek external funding.
• Experience leading or managing research and/or evaluation projects.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Skills in quantitative and qualitative data analyses, including experience using data analysis software (e.g., SPSS, SAS, STATA, R, Python, NVivo, Dedoose).
• Skills in planning, organizing, prioritizing, and effective communication.
• Ability to follow through with tasks and work independently.
• Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with research institute staff, affiliated faculty, school district personnel, and other stakeholders.
• Ability to perform with flexibility and versatility in order to contribute to evolving work situations.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The appointment may be renewable at the discretion of the University and dependent upon performance and continued funding of Institute projects. Remote work is possible.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Various mobile devices
Various office equipment: printer, copier, etc.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: October 12, 2020 Pacific Daylight Time