Assistant Professor - Computer Engineering
Job no: 497818
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Engineering, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
The Computer Engineering Department at San José State University (SJSU), http://cmpe.sjsu.edu/, invites applications for two tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of Assistant Professor. Areas of particular interest include artificial intelligence and machine learning, visualization and user experience, data analytics and design thinking, virtual and augmented reality, data mining and big data, robotics, computer systems architecture, FPGA, and embedded systems, but other areas in computer and software engineering will also be considered.
Please read carefully as some information has been updated since the first posting.
- Applicants must have a doctorate in Computer/Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a closely related field by the start of the appointment.
- Applicants must have a strong commitment to teaching excellence, dedication to continued professional development and scholarship, and a broad knowledge of computer/software engineering. Demonstrated ability in written and oral use of the English language is required.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- A faculty member is expected to teach, supervise, and advise students in both undergraduate and graduate programs, and to establish a research program related to his/her field of interest.
- Candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committee and other service assignments.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Compensation - Commensurate with qualifications and experience. See Benefits Summary for details.
Starting Date - August 2021
Eligibility - Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents by January 11, 2021 for full consideration:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy (2 pages maximum)
- research plans (2 pages maximum)
- diversity statement (2 pages maximum) discussing specific initiatives, strategies, activities that you have accomplished and/or that you plan to accomplish to advance diversity, equity, and/or inclusion
- three references with contact information
Inquires may be directed to the Interim Department Chair, Dr. Rod Fatoohi, [email protected]
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: October 10, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time