Posting DetailsPosting NumberS05263PWorking TitleAcademic ManagerDepartmentEngineering Academic Affairs & AssessmentAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
About the College of Engineering: The College of Engineering, formed on July 1, 2012, is building a vibrant academic environment that fosters engineering education in a liberal arts environment and research that addresses critical societal needs. The College offers eight accredited undergraduate and seven graduate engineering degree programs spanning all engineering fields. The college has grown rapidly to more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students and over 80 faculty members. More information can be found at www.engineering.uga.eduCollege/Unit/Department websitewww.enineering.uga.eduPosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
Monday – Friday 8:00am-5pmAdvertised Salary$48,000 - $57,000Posting Date10/09/2020Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date12/01/2020Special Instructions to Applicants
Application review will begin immediately and will be performed on a continuious basis. Applications received by October 31, 2020 will be given full consideration.Location of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification TitleAcademic Services ProfessionalFLSAExemptJob FamilyStudent ServicesFTE1.00Minimum Qualifications
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications
- 5 years experience working for a 4-year college or university advising students
- 1 or more years of experience using platforms such as Banner, Argos, Sage, Astra, or Degree Works
- Previous experience leading cross-functional teams in a higher education setting
- Previous experience managing multiple high visibility projects at a given time.
The Academic Manager carries out most of the routine essential functions of the Academic Affairs Office in the College of Engineering. Essential job functions include course management, classroom scheduling, student enrollment management, providing assistance for engineering undergraduate internal admissions process, assisting in curriculum and course approvals, student appeals, as well as graduation certifications. The Academic Manager will report to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the college and serve as the college-liaison to various units including curriculum systems and the registrar’s office. The position may involve supervision of student workers and/or other support personnel as necessary.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
Knowledge of various academic operations in a major 4-year college or university. Experience in academic advising of students is favorable, but is not the only qualification desired. Competency in higher education platforms such as BANNER, ARGOS, SAGE, ASTRA, DEGREE WORKS is a plus. Proficiency in WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK is mandatory. Excellent oral and written communication skills, organization, time management and teamwork skills are necessary.Physical Demands
While performing duties of this job, the employee is expected to spend many hours a day sitting in front of a computer, the employee will stand; walk; travel between buildings in the campus to attend meetings, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, use close, distant and peripheral vision. Position may include occasional out of town travel.Is driving a responsibility of this position?NoIs this a Position of Trust?YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?NoDoes this position require a P-Card? NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications)YesCredit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Course Management / Class
- Responsibilities include online management of courses and classroom scheduling in the college for all graduate and undergraduate courses. Uses communication with the faculty and department chairs on a regular basis and working with the registrar’s office, curriculum systems, campus reservations and other entities as necessary.
Curriculum Support Services
- Responsibilities include monitoring and tracking of all new course and curriculum approvals within the college, scheduling the college curriculum committee meetings and upload new courses to curriculum systems portal. Uses interactions with the faculty and department chairs as well with the registrar’s office, curriculum systems, academic advisors, and other entities as necessary.
Administering Internal Admissions Process
- Responsibilities include administering the high demand major internal admissions process within the college of engineering, approving major change requests, handling student appeals/dismissals and re-admissions, serve as graduation certification officer and as point of contact for general questions about engineering internal admissions process. Uses interactions with the students, testing center, human resources etc. and other entities as necessary.
Other Academic Affairs Functions
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor on an ongoing basis. Responsibilities are subject to revision annually depending on the changing needs of the college.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter