Assistant Professor in Urban Geography
Posting InformationPosition TitleAssistant Professor in Urban GeographyJob Posting Number202110FACJob LocationSan MarcosDepartmentDepartment of GeographyPosition Description
The Department of Geography at Texas State University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in urban geography to begin Fall 2021 subject to availability of funds. We seek an individual with exceptional potential as a scholar and teacher. The position includes maintaining an active research agenda, teaching at graduate and undergraduate levels, and advising Masters/Ph.D. students. The Department of Geography consists of a diverse faculty. Applications from members of underrepresented groups are encouraged.Required Qualifications
• A Ph.D. degree in geography or a related field, with a specialization in urban planning or studies, by time of appointment;
• A demonstrated record of peer-reviewed scholarship;
• Demonstrated or potential ability to develop a strong research agenda; and
• Demonstrated or potential ability to teach urban geography courses at undergraduate and graduate levels.
• Research and teaching interests in urban planning, transportation systems, or urban infrastructure management;
• A demonstrated record of securing external research funding; and
• Demonstrated ability to advise graduate students.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/33866.
To be considered in the initial pool of candidates, complete applications must be received no later than January 15, 2021. Complete applications received after this date will only be considered if no viable candidates are identified and hired from the initial pool. This position will remain open until filled. All positions are subject to availability of funds.
The application must include:
1) A letter of application outlining the applicant’s research credentials, teaching experience, career goals, and commitment to diversity that meets the required and preferred qualifications as stated above;
2) An up-to-date curriculum vitae;
3) At least one sample of published scholarship in urban geography or planning;
4) Reports teaching evaluations (if available);
5) Three professional references including names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers. Please provide the names and email addresses for your references in the Reference Letter section of the employment application.
For inquiries, please e-mail Dr. Nate Currit, chair of the Search Committee, at [email protected]. Please indicate “Urban Geography Position” in the subject line of all correspondence.
The selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.Proposed Start DateFall 2021Open DateReview Date01/15/2021Close DateOpen Until Filled?YesLegal Notices
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System.
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Linkhttp://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/33866Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Samples of Scholarly Work/Research
- Evidence of Teaching Experience/Evaluations
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Transcripts (all in one document)
- DD 214/DD1300
- Veteran's Preference
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Texas Workforce Commission-Work in Texas
- Colleague, friend, and/or personal referral
- Other (Please Specify in follow up question below)
- * Please Specify: (enter "NA" if not applicable)
(Open Ended Question)