Endoscopy Surgical Assistant
Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-09
Supports patient care providers with instrumentation supplies and equipment for endoscopic procedures in the MOR. Performs and participates in decontamination cleaning assembling packaging scanning sterilization storage and distribution of reusable surgical instrumentation and equipment.
- Supports patient care activities during designated procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skills in the preparation setup and troubleshooting of specialized equipment such as the DaVinci robot endobronchial ultrasound smart room technologies.
- Prepares and assembles surgical trays and equipment following established tray lists for storage or further processing.
- Monitors reads documents and interprets parameters of sterilization.
- Operates the Steris sterilizer.
- Decontaminates and cleans reusable equipment instruments and supplies manually and mechanically.
- Operates the departmental bar code system to maintain records for surgical trays and instruments received processed and distributed (SPM Tracking System).
- Supports OR and Surgical Supply/Sterile Processing procedures.
- Communicates effectively to internal and external customers.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent.
Experience: 2 yrs experience in Procedural/Surgical/Sterile setting in a clinical role or graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist training program.
Licensure: Certified to practice as a Surgical Technologist by NBSTSA (The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting) or NCCT (The National Center for Competency Testing) or certification in Sterile Processing (CRCST) preferred. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping/walking; Repetitive motion: decontamination of instrumentation, lifting instrument sets. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 50 - 100lbs. May be exposed to chemicals, cold, heat, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.