10018185 Part Time Library Reference Assistant
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: Library Primary Location: Macon Position: Staff Job Type: Part Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: The Part-Time Library Reference Assistant provides general library assistance and reference services in the library during evening hours. Employee does not normally work during intersession (between semesters), Spring Breaks, during holiday periods or other times when the library is not open, but opportunities to do so may occasionally arise. Position will primarily work evening hours until the library closes at 12 a.m. Maximum of 19 hours per week.
This is an excellent opportunity for a MLIS student or someone considering a career as a librarian. The MGA Library is committed to mentoring future librarians.
- Provide research assistance in person, over the phone and online.
- Provide research assistance utilizing a variety of information resources and formats.
- Perform circulation duties, as this position is based at a combined reference/circulation desk.
- Assist in selecting library materials for purchase.
- Assist with training and supervision of library student assistants in the evenings.
- Assist library users with technology issues as needed (computers, printers, scanners, etc.).
- Assist library users with software issues as needed (Microsoft Office, email, Brightspace/D2L, etc.).
- Accept money for fines and fees, provide change and create receipts.
- Perform closing procedures.
- Some college is required.
- Knowledge of print and electronic reference sources (preferably GALILEO).
- Strong commitment to public service.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability using computer applications such as Microsoft Office
- Ability to provide exemplary customer service and deal tactfully and courteously with a diversity of library users.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2-3 years general work experience in a school or library environment or current enrollment in an MLS program.
- Experience with an academic library setting.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018185 PT Library Reference Assistant – Macon 10.9.2020”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest which includes salary requirements; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D