Manager, Rathskeller Restaurant Operations
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-09
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Title: Manager, Rathskeller Restaurant Operations
Family: Student Services
The Manager, Rathskeller Restaurant Operations has responsibilities to the Director, University Rathskeller (University Rathskeller and Student Activities Center server) to supervise the food service and kitchen operations in the Rathskeller to ensure quality food, variety, and customer service. This position will direct, and at times prepare menu items while supervising a team of 35-40 line cooks and assists in the supervision of approximately 35 front of house staff. Primary responsibilities include operational management, leadership, food and beverage costing, retail pricing, financial functions, catering operations, special menus, and coordinating events at the Rathskeller. Given the dynamic nature of student culinary tastes, an emphasis will be placed on creating new special menu items, special corporate catering offerings, and researching new food trends in the culinary environment (meat-less protein products, locally sourced grains/breads, and beverage items).
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Director, University Rathskeller
- Hires and trains all kitchen staff, wait staff, and assistant managers in coordination with the Director. Evaluates staff on progress and development of skills. Conduct staff performance reviews in accordance with standards and to ensure quality workforce.
- Provides daily management support for Rathskeller operations including supervision of staff and facility operations; works to ensure facility is up and running daily.
- Assists in the supervision of all Rathskeller employees staff (approx. 80 employees)
- Responsible for employee recruitment, retention, and evaluation, also assigning schedules for Bar, Wait Staff, Kitchen, and Event support staff.
- POS (Point of Sales) management and maintenance including but not limited to back office maintenance (updating menu items and prices)
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Orders all necessary Foodservice products; ensures the quality and accuracy of those orders; assists Director in identification of vendors; maintains and completes monthly inventory; develops controls/systems to meet quality and costs goals. Understand daily forecasts and customer counts. Coordinate all par stock levels.
- Develops menu and pricing of menu items to meet operational goals; creates and plans meal specials to consistently provide variety and competitive pricing; ensures high standards of quality.
- Assess food portion size, visual appeal, taste and temperature of items served.
- Set and create standards for sales on all special menus and price structures.
- Conducts training of Foodservice staff to ensure food safety, ensures prompt service of all orders, cleanliness and all aspects of foodservice operations. Assists Director in supervision of Student Managers.
- Maintains inventory of food and non-food supplies to stay within established guidelines while assuring necessary product is available.
- Knowledgeable of and enforce all local health department sanitation laws
CATERING – EVENT SUPPORT
- Develops and executes Rathskeller-provided catering operations (menu, prep, staffing, scheduling, etc.) primarily within Rathskeller and Student Center Complex in cooperation with the Director, University Rathskeller.
- In conjunction with Director, University Rathskeller, solidify working relationships with University Partners (Office of Conference Services, Athletics, Office of Admissions, Graduate School, School of Law, etc.) to develop catering and event menus that will support revenue generating activities such as events at the Rathskeller and catering at events throughout campus.
- Create and assess student learning outcomes related to student employment program.
- Develop strategic plan for Rathskeller (in conjunction with Director, Rathskeller) and monitor strategic goals on a continual basis.
- Assists Director, University Rathskeller & Executive Director Student Center Complex on the use, maintenance, cleanliness of Servery Kitchen in the Shalala Student Center.
- Helps solicit, evaluate, select, and train a group of non-UM caterers who will be authorized to use the Shalala Student Center Servery Kitchen for the purpose of providing food during events.
- Assists in the inspection of the catering kitchen prior to, during, and after events as needed to ensure proper operation and use, cleanup, and area/equipment security.
- Recommends and arranges for routine and as-needed maintenance and replacement on all catering kitchen equipment and spaces.
- Works with the Director to forecast annual 5-year capital projects plan.
- Ensure strategic plans of Rathskeller, Student Center Complex, Student Affairs and University of Miami are aligned.
- Work with minimal supervision and be able to accurately represent the Rathskeller in place of the Director when appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director, University Rathskeller; the Executive Director, Student Center Complex/Vice President Rathskeller, Inc.; Vice President for Student Affairs/President Rathskeller, Inc.; and the Board of Directors Rathskeller, Inc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Professional demeanor, discretion and high interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Must be customer service-oriented, adaptable, and show initiative.
- Must be able to work in a team environment with student employees and professional staff.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
- Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to understand and evaluate complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Must possess or quickly acquire an outstanding working knowledge of the University policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in Hospitality or Culinary Arts (or related field)
- A minimum of 3 years in a managerial role at a full-service restaurant having food, beer and wine availability. A minimum of 5 years’ experience preferred.
- College/University experience preferred
- Primary work week schedule is Monday - Friday; some evenings, weekends and holidays as arranged with Director, University Rathskeller-dependent upon other staff schedules and planned events.
- Must attend and be certified in all Food and Alcohol training programs that the Rathskeller participates in and as required by state and local laws.
- High volume, complex foodservice operations experience - highly desirable
- Institutional and batch cooking experience
- Hands-on chef experience a must
- Comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and primary responsibilities of this job classification. Specific duties and tasks may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills & abilities required for a job.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c104