Associate Controller - External Audits
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-09
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami is recruiting for a unique leadership opportunity as Associate Controller - External Audit. The Associate Controller – External Audits serves as the liaison between the University and the external audit firms to manage the audit process to ensure an efficient flow information, documentation and communication between the two parties. The position is responsible for making sure audits are being performed as efficiently as possible and making recommendations to resolve audit issues encountered during the course of the audits.
Manage the annual external audits for the university including: University’s consolidated financial statement, Hospital and Clinics, Uniform Guidance, NCAA AUP, state required compliance audits, Employee Retirement Plan, and other benefit plans. This requires coordination across numerous areas of the university. Serve as primary point of contact for external auditors and ensure effective communication among all staff, internal audit and external auditors. Understand the documentation and data requirements required by external audit firms and coordinate the completion and delivery of information needed. Coordinate the timing of the audit work with the various areas of the university and the audit firm(s). Working with senior leadership, manage the university’s responses required to any management letter comments, control deficiencies or findings. This includes ensuring auditors’ comments are accurate and the university’s responses are appropriate and have been approved at the proper levels. Identify audit related risks, communicate to senior leadership, and develop actions to remediate. Identify processes to make the audit more efficient to complete the audits sooner or make them less burdensome on the organization. Assist with the coordination of the work performed by the Audit & Advisory Services department supporting the external audit. Assist with the interpretation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements in order to ensure they meet audit requirements. Develop and implement any additional policies needed relating to external audits or the process. Performs other related duties as assigned.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- Master’s degree in accounting preferred; MBA strongly preferred
Certification and Licensing:
CPA certification required
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience
- Required experience should be audit experience at a big four accounting firm
- Higher education and hospital/healthcare experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles and best practices.
- Ability to organize workflow and coordinate multiple streams of audit activities.
- Knowledge of audit firms’ requirements for documentation, audit testing and processes.
- Ability to recognize audit issues, recommend alternatives and implement chosen solution
- Excellent technical accounting skills including experience in understanding, interpreting, and applying accounting pronouncements
- Knowledge of budget control methods, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to prepare financial and accounting records.
- Ability to analyze, consolidate, and interpret accounting data.
- Ability to compile, organize, interpret, and communicate accounting data and results concisely.
- Ability to manage a budget and work within the constraints of that budget.
- Ability to demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills with all levels of management.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c111