Assoc Dir, Strategic Finance
Under the general direction of the Director of Finance and Controller for Commonwealth Medicine (CWM) or designee, this position will work collaboratively with all Business Units within CWM to bring financial leadership, process improvement and support strategy development. This position will work with managers in the areas of strategic analysis, financial analysis, and continued development of financial management acumen to help improve decision making. The Assoc. Director, Strategic Finance is responsible for the development of financial strategies to support the Business Units’ objectives and long-term goals and helps to establish major financial objectives. This position will also review existing policies and procedures, ensuring operations run efficiently and effectively.Responsibilities
- Collaborate with all CWM Business Units, supporting the financial operations of UMMS, and partner with leaders across CWM as well as the Medical School to enable and leverage ROI-driven decision making.
- Leads program strategy planning, including market analysis, development of strategic models in support of pricing models, cost development, margin analysis, “what-if” scenarios, program staffing and support services.
- Oversees and leads the development and implementation of the unit’s strategic financial operations, demonstrating fiscal responsibility and ensuring consistency with the vision, mission and values of the organization
- Liaison with Business Unit Financial staff to interpret operating results as they affect the financial performance and strategic plan, make specific recommendations which will result in cost reductions and profit improvement.
- Analyzes financial information through the use of queries, spreadsheets, databases and other reporting tools for trend analyses, forecasts and financial ratios in conjunction with the CWM Finance and other university entities.
- Pro-actively analyzes and interprets key performance metrics, and statistical, financial and accounting information. Identifies and communicates trends, patterns and events that may be of interest or concern to leadership for CWM.
- Evaluate business processes and operational and/or financial effectiveness. Analyze and resolve complex issues and provide alternative solutions as necessary.
- Supervise the Finance Business Partners and Core Support Staff (hiring, training, performance management, evaluation and mentoring).
- Assist in the annual CWM budget process and serve as the liaison with the business units for budget development and use of budget systems.
- Act as Financial Liaison to IT, supports development of project cost models, and overall financial performance.
- Liaison with business leaders across functions to evaluate and review individual departments, projects for pricing, feasibility and operational strategy.
- Participate in the long range financial planning processes, acting as financial liaison providing analyses and information to management in support of these processes.
- Collaborate with members of FP&A to align and execute on organizational objectives
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Perform other duties as required.
Master's Level Degree in Business Administration or CPA or CMA.
15 + years of experience in an accounting or finance environment.
10 + years of management experience.
Excellent interpersonal, verbal and writing skills.
Strong business acumen and general management capability with excellent analytical and organizational skills.
Ability to present and communicate effectively with all levels of management.
Leadership development skills
Demonstrated problem solving and analytical abilities.
Ability and/or commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds in an inclusive, welcoming environment. Ability to effectively work and communicate with individuals from varied cultural backgrounds.
Ability to oversee multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, including special projects as assigned.
Prior experience of working successfully in a supervisory/management role required. Demonstrated success in managing staff performance. Ability to motivate staff to work effectively and hold staff accountable to individual and departmental goals.
Highly motivated and inquisitive big-picture thinker with the skill to drill down to details while still having the ability to seamlessly influence across all levels of the organization and clearly communicate often complex financial information with ease.
Excellent critical thinking, time management and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
Preferred Work Experience:
Previous experience in an academic, healthcare or public sector setting.