Assistant Athletic Trainer
Posting DetailsJob TitleAssistant Athletic TrainerDepartmentAthleticsFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21126Open Date10/08/2020Close DateSalary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Nights and weekends as team schedules require. Some travel required.
The assistant athletic trainer will develop and maintain a high degree of total health care for student-athletes. S/he will be responsible for the prevention, care, and treatment of athletic injuries as well as supervise equipment and physical therapy modalities. The assistant athletics trainer will assist the head athletic trainer in the total health care of the Division I Intercollegiate program as directed.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementExperience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Master’s degree.Experience Required1 yearType of Experience
Related athletic training experience.Substitution for Experience RequirementEducation may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Division I Athletic experience.License/Certification Required
- NATABOC certification; CPR/AED/First Aid Certifications
- Must possess (or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver’s license with no more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past 36 months, and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years.
- Good communication, administrative, time management and interpersonal skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically, Word and Excel
- Familiarity with electronic medical record keeping
- Working knowledge of HIPAA requirements
Internal: Contact with all athletic department staff, student-athletes, food services, intramural and club sports, health services, physical education, and physical plant.
External: Contact with alumni, high school coaches, trainers and coaches of other universities, suppliers, hospital personnel, and athlete’s families.Physical Demands
- Must be able to lift and carry 25lbsWorking Conditions
- Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Mornings, nights, and weekends as team schedules require
- Some travel required
- Outdoor work required
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to support campus during emergency situations, and, may be required to provide related essential services remotely or on site before, during or after a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24779Essential Functions
- Works with student athletes to provide care, prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries and illnesses both on campus and at game venues
- Collaborates frequently with physical therapists regarding rehabilitation progress and return-to-play planning of injured athletes
- Provides injury reports on a daily basis, and reports status and progress of injured athletes to team physicians, managers and coaches on an ongoing basis
- Maintains a safe environment, medical supplies and emergency readiness for athletes at all sanctioned practices and events at home and away venues
- Maintains athletic training and satellite facilities
- Maintains confidentiality of medical information, adherence to regulatory requirements and compliance with team physician guidelines
- Serves as first responder in emergency situations
- Stays abreast of current training room procedures
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Prevents athletic injuries
- Maintains medical records and coordinates athletic training care for athletes
- Advises coaches on training and conditioning programs
- Evaluates the progress of injured athletes
- Determines injured athletes’ availability for re-entry into participation
- Instructs and prepares student-trainers for licensure
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have one year of related athletic training experience?
- * Do you have a current NATABOC certification and CPR/AED/First Aid Certifications?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years?