Posting DetailsJob TitleProgram AdministratorDepartmentBrown School of EngineeringFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21128Open Date10/08/2020Close DateSalary Information
$59,900 – $80,800/yearWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; some flexibility is available.
Occasional nights and weekends during peak times.
In conjunction with the associate dean of academic affairs, the program administrator manages the academic programs, student affairs, and research administration for the School of Engineering. This includes course administration in CourseLeaf, managing General Announcements, teaching evaluations, curricular initiatives, distribution and monitoring of fellowship funding, managing student scholarship funds, as well as academic events. The position has primary responsibility for approving the School of Engineering’s research proposals. The position also manages administrative and financial processes for the Rice Engineering Alumni Association, as well as the School of Engineering’s endowment and gift processing. The incumbent is the liaison for the School of Engineering to the Office of Admission for all matters related to prospective undergraduate students.
We are seeking candidates who have demonstrated ability to lead and/or work collaboratively in teams comprised of individuals of diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives.
We seek greater representation of women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans in disciplines in which they have historically been underrepresented; to attract international students from a wider range of countries and backgrounds; to accelerate progress in building a faculty and staff who are diverse in background and thought; and we support an inclusive environment that fosters interaction and understanding within our diverse community.
The George R. Brown School of Engineering ranks among the top 20 of undergraduate engineering programs (US News & World Report) and is strongly committed to nurturing the aspirations of faculty, staff and students in an inclusive environment.
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.Education RequiredBachelor's DegreeMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementMay substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required5 yearsType of Experience
- Related experience working in a college or university setting
- Responsible financial and administrative experience including experience in administrative management and student affairs
Rice University experience.License/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Ability to develop and initiate new strategies
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Strong data analysis skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules
- Adept at problem solving, creating contingency plans and handling issues when necessary
- Strong client service orientation and attention to detail
- Ability to develop complex or multiple program partnerships and funding sources
- Knowledge of managing budgets
Internal Contacts: The incumbent has daily contact with faculty, staff, and students in the School of Engineering and across the university.
External Contacts: The incumbent has contact with industry donors, vendors, alumni, and prospective students.Physical Demands
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to move about campus as needed
- Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Occasional evenings and/or weekends may be required during peak times
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24765Essential Functions
- Develops, implements, administers and evaluates programs by: conducting research activities within the program, analyzing data, creating reports, reviewing trends, and making program improvement recommendations
- Develops and implements strategies related to outreach, events, communications, development, partnerships and fundraising / funding
- Creates short term and long term plans to achieve mission and objectives for the program
- Devises and manages financial and budgetary plans for the program(s), approves and monitors expenditures
- For academic programs, may be responsible for graduate student recruitment and admissions, student records, curriculum support, coordinating the accreditation process, managing scholarships and fellowships, and monitoring student progress
- May be responsible for grant preparation and submission or research administration
- May teach a course, seminar or workshop
- May supervise small staff (up to three full time staff)
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Manages and supports the modification and creation of new School of Engineering academic programs
- Manages and supports efforts of engineering student clubs and professional organizations
- Manages Dean’s Office pre-award process
- Reviews and approves School of Engineering research proposals
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have five years of related experience working in a college or university setting?
- * Do you have responsible financial and administrative experience including experience in administrative management and student affairs?
- * Please briefly describe your experience with project management or managing strategic initiatives.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience fostering student leadership or managing student initiatives and organizations.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe a project you managed that required working collaboratively with different stakeholders.
(Open Ended Question)