Job location: Commerce TAMUC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-08
Job TitleWriter/EditorAgencyTexas A&M University - CommerceDepartmentMarketing CommunicationsProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationCommerce, TexasJob TypeStaffJob Description
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process you have one opportunity to upload documents as a combined PDF. The page “My Experience” has an area provided under Resume/CV to drop or upload the file.
This one combined PDF must include:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts – If required for the position (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered. Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
The Writer/Editor uses invention, imagination, originality, and talent to develop, write, and edit materials for print and electronic publications, which may include, but are not limited to, emails, text messages, reports, magazine articles, newsletters, brochures, booklets, ads, and posters. Writer/Editor proofreads original copy and prepared materials for readability and grammatical correctness. The Writer/Editor position is a shared role with reporting lines to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications and is assigned solely to the VP for Enrollment Management. The Writer/Editor works closely with both areas in matters concerning editorial style and format to ensure consistency and quality of written materials published in print or online.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write and edit enrollment management materials for print and electronic publications, e.g., emails, text messages, reports, magazine articles, newsletters, brochures, booklets, ads, postcards and posters.
- Helps to promote the A&M-Commerce to prospective students and their families, community-based organizations, and educational partners by contributing a unique or fresh interpretation in preparing feature stories for University website, publications, and assisting in the gathering, writing and editing of material for related content in varying channels of distribution.
- Helps to promote the University to prospective students by using invention, imagination, originality and talent in preparing copy for University recruitment publications and digital materials.
- Assures the production of material consistent with established guidelines by organizing materials and completing writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Contributes to the development of digital content by reviewing and recommending revisions or changes in scope, format, and content or determining the need to develop new material.
- Assures consistency with standards by editing, standardizing, or making changes to material prepared by other writers or other personnel.
- Develops subject matter for content by conferring with University clients.
- Maintains a project log of documents and other records and files, working with other staff members as part of a team to facilitate the reuse and storage of electronic document files, and assisting in the supervision of an office staff of editorial graduate assistants and student employees.
- Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Executive Director of Marketing and Communication and the VP for Enrollment Management.
- Contributes to the Department of Marketing and Communications’ overall success and the Division of Enrollment Management by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations or related field or equivalent education and work experience.
- Experience: Two (2) years of work experience in a professional position writing/editing content or managing project timelines for print /digital deliverables for a higher education market working with a college or university partner.
- Knowledge / Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Strong proofreading and editing skills are required. Organizational and planning skills are required. Knowledge of word processing is required.
- Ability to: Produce a portfolio of work demonstrating expertise in writing for an external college-going audience is required.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: None
- Physical Requirements: None
- Other Requirements: The scope of the job requires some evening and weekend work and occasional travel.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Experience utilizing innovative technology such as a CRM solution is preferred. Familiarity with database systems such as Ellucian Banner, PeopleSoft or some other type of database product used by institutions of higher learning is preferred.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.