Visiting Lecturer/Instructor of Education Programs (Evergreen)
Posting DetailsTitleVisiting Lecturer/Instructor of Education Programs (Evergreen)CampusStocktonDepartmentBenerd CollegePosting NumberF00344Full or Part TimePart TimeOpen Date09/30/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledNoDays Per WeekWeeks Per YearPosition Description
The University of the Pacific, Stockton campus seeks instructors to teach classes on a part-time basis to students in Education programs, including teacher preparation courses, educational leadership, and educational and school psychology. Our current part-time faculty are drawn from regional expertise in teaching and leadership, and offer a wealth of practitioner-based expertise to our students.
Visiting Lecturers/Instructors are part-time, non-tenure-track employees, contracted via mutually-signed offer letters, to teach specific classes during specific semesters (specific dates) as outlined in the offer letter. Faculty rank and title are contingent upon the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.Basic Qualifications
• Must hold a graduate degree in a relevant field.
• Relevant professional experiences in educational or other settings as appropriate to the specific course
• Prior higher education teaching experience: Preferred, not required
• Content and pedagogical knowledge required for the specific course
• Credential: California Multiple Subject, Single Subject, and/or Education Specialist, Mild/Moderate Disabilities or Moderate/Severe Disabilities or Pupil Personnel Services credential (as appropriate)
• Ability to teach adult learners
• Demonstrated commitment to and teaching in diverse settings, as well as working with students from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
All part-time faculty are expected to perform the following duties:
•Complete all employment documents and any required trainings, and submit employment documents such as signed offer letters in a timely manner.
•Prepare for your course, including obtaining the approved syllabus, and updating course schedule, teaching methods, assessments, assignments as appropriate an required.
•Provide a classroom environment conducive to learning.
•Adhere to all University and school policies.
•Teach the assigned course(s) as published in the Academic schedule and noted in the offer letter, using andragogical (adult learning theory) and other teaching methods fairly and effectively.
•Track student attendance using tools provided, and refer students to the B-hive (Office of student support services) if required for attendance or performance issues.
•Must use the University’s LMS (Learning Management System) which is CANVAS, to post syllabus, assignments, reference materials, and to communicate with students.
•Read submitted student work and assessments/exams, and provide written/oral/video comments to students in a timely manner to provide feedback on performance.
•Meet with students during “office hours” to provide individualized direction and assessment of progress, as needed.
•In order to ensure the proper number of teaching hours is completed, work with Administration to schedule “make-up” classes for any cancelled classes.
•Grade all mid-term and final examinations/papers, and other assessments as appropriate, and submit those grades per timelines using the InsidePacific portal.
•Review student-completed course evaluations conducted online at the end of each semester to analyze student perceptions of your teaching and to provide insight into possible teaching improvements.
We are currently seeking applicants to teach in the following areas:
•All aspects of teacher preparation/education
•Educational, Counseling, and School Psychology
•Learning, Leadership, and Change
Requires extended periods of sitting, standing, bending, stooping, and occasional walking and lifting.
Work is primarily performed in a standard classroom environment.Special Instructions
This recruitment is to establish a pool of qualified candidates, from which multiple short term, temporary appointments may be made. Your application will be active for up to 12 months within the temporary pool. Submission of materials does not guarantee consideration for future employment in openings of this type, since availability can be unpredictable and consideration competitive.Contact InformationContact EmailAre Applicants Required to Submit References for This Posting?NoMinimum Number of ReferencesMaximum Number of ReferencesBackground Check Statement
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.AA/EEO Policy Statement
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- University of the Pacific Website
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Chronicle of HIgher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Northern California (NorCal HERC)
- Modesto Bee
- Pacific Employee
- Personal Referral
- Professional or Association Listserv
- Publication or website from a professional organization
- Sacramento Bee
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Stockton Record
- Agency Referral
- Other Online Job Board
- * Pacific participates in federal healthcare programs. As such, a required part of the hiring process is to verify that potential employees have not been excluded from participating in federal programs for mandatory exclusions (including for fraud, controlled substances crimes, patient abuse or neglect, or other program-related crimes) or for other permissive exclusions by the Office of Inspector General. A "Yes" response would be considered disqualifying. Please answer the following question accordingly: Are you currently excluded from participation in federal programs (including Medicare, Medicaid, or any other federal healthcare program)?
- * Pacific participates in federal healthcare programs. As such, a required part of the hiring process is to verify that potential employees have not been excluded from participating in federal programs for mandatory exclusions (including for fraud, controlled substances crimes, patient abuse or neglect, or other program-related crimes) or for other permissive exclusions by the Office of Inspector General. A "Yes" response would be considered disqualifying. Please answer the following question accordingly: Have you received notice that you are under review for possible exclusion from any federal programs (including Medicare, Medicaid, or any other federal healthcare program)?
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application