Program Leader and Assistant/Associate Professor of Practice for Leadership and Innovation EdD
Posting DetailsTitleProgram Leader and Assistant/Associate Professor of Practice for Leadership and Innovation EdDCampusSacramento DepartmentBenerd CollegePosting NumberF00339Full or Part TimeFull TimeOpen DateClose DateOpen Until FilledYesDays Per WeekWeeks Per YearPosition Description
University of the Pacific’s Benerd College is seeking a team member with an entrepreneurial spirit to serve a vital role as we fulfill our vision to be a center of innovation, learning, and creativity in the Sacramento Valley.
We are searching for a colleague with a deep commitment to engaging students in real-world practice through teaching that challenges dominant norms. As one example of that commitment, our faculty members facilitate all courses through an action-oriented project-based curriculum. Our courses are centered on culminating projects where students work with community partners in real-world settings. Another example is that we are focused on an action-oriented, project-based dissertation model in our doctoral program. In particular, we are teaching students to use various innovation tools and frameworks as methods for their dissertation inquiry. We hope to find a colleague who will help us move even further in creating the most transformational and impactful program possible.
The Sacramento faculty plays an important role in working with the Assistant Dean and other colleagues to build our presence in the region. This new colleague will serve as a key faculty member in the Leadership and Innovation Doctoral Program, launched in Fall 2015. The program, which we call “A Doctorate for Innovators and Creators,” is designed to develop innovators and systems thinkers for learning, leadership, and change.
The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of teaching, research, leadership, service and the ability to work collaboratively with students, colleagues, and stakeholders. The position will be based at the Sacramento Campus the incoming candidate will take an active role in our community engagement efforts.
This is a leadership position and is an eleven-month appointment. Please note that faculty rank and title are contingent upon the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications. The basic teaching workload is two courses each semester including summer for a 2-2-2 load. This faculty appointment will also include assisting the Assistant Dean with programmatic responsibilities, program coordination, recruitment and dissemination of program information. The position will teach across our programs, but has a particular emphasis in the Leadership and Innovation Doctoral Program. This includes involvement in dissertations, master’s thesis, student recruitment, community engagement, curriculum development, internal service, and scholarship (which can include contributions to research outlets or practitioner settings). Our program requires continual innovation and pushing of traditional boundaries, which results in a heavily collaborative teaching culture.
In collaboration with the Assistant Dean, this position will play a key role in working to build and sustain the Doctoral Program by:
• Facilitating the iteration and assessment of the program and curriculum
• Reviewing curriculum, advising students, and other activities
• Building community and regional relationships to advance the program
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.Basic Qualifications
• Serving as the primary faculty contact for prospective students
• Presenting and engaging with prospective students at various recruitment events, both in person and online
• Developing faculty and providing opportunities for professional development/collaboration to transform the teaching/learning experience
This colleague will hold the rank of assistant or associate professor, depending on experience level. This is a non-tenure eligible position with eligibility for promotion to associate and/or full professor. The position will be assigned primarily to our school in Sacramento.
• Doctoral degree in a field related to learning, leadership, and/or change
• Demonstrated prior University teaching experience, including serving on or chairing dissertation committees
• Demonstrated commitment to fostering a caring and rigorous educational environment
• Demonstrated commitment to continual innovation and change
• Demonstrated ability to collaboratively engage with colleagues in program development and teaching
• Demonstrated commitment to personal development and growth in one’s own teaching and practice
• Demonstrated excellence in applied scholarly research or evidence-based practice
• Demonstrated interest and experience in working in partnership with community groups, businesses, government agencies, and other organizations, as appropriate to the position
• Demonstrated successful teaching experience with adult learners
• Demonstrated commitment to and teaching in diverse settings, as well as working with students from culturally and linguistically diverse communities
We are searching for a colleague who meets two or more of the following criteria:
• Demonstrated skill and expertise in design thinking and innovation methods
• Demonstrated leadership experience in education-related start-ups (e.g., founding new schools, starting a new venture)
• Demonstrated success in transforming a school, college, university, or district setting
• Demonstrated experience in facilitating change through innovation methods (e.g., design thinking, lean startup, participatory engagement, appreciative inquiry)
• Demonstrated expertise in analyzing/developing educational policy for innovation and change
• Skill to teach applied research design courses
• Demonstrated successful hybrid or online teaching experience
• Practitioner experience in P/K-20 education
• Research and or grant writing experience
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.Special Instructions
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, we will begin reviewing applications after Nov 1, 2020.
Please upload the following:
• A letter of interest explaining
o How minimum and preferred qualifications are met
o Relevant experiences that have prepared you to teach in this type of program
o Description of teaching approach
• Curriculum Vitae
• Complete contact information for three (3) Professional References.
Please contact Laura Hallberg at [email protected] for position questionsContact [email protected] Applicants Required to Submit References for This Posting?YesMinimum Number of References3Maximum Number of ReferencesBackground Check StatementAA/EEO Policy StatementSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
- University of the Pacific Website
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
- Chronicle of HIgher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Northern California (NorCal HERC)
- Modesto Bee
- Pacific Employee
- Personal Referral
- Professional or Association Listserv
- Publication or website from a professional organization
- Sacramento Bee
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Stockton Record
- Agency Referral
- Other Online Job Board
- * Pacific participates in federal healthcare programs. As such, a required part of the hiring process is to verify that potential employees have not been excluded from participating in federal programs for mandatory exclusions (including for fraud, controlled substances crimes, patient abuse or neglect, or other program-related crimes) or for other permissive exclusions by the Office of Inspector General. A "Yes" response would be considered disqualifying. Please answer the following question accordingly: Are you currently excluded from participation in federal programs (including Medicare, Medicaid, or any other federal healthcare program)?
- * Pacific participates in federal healthcare programs. As such, a required part of the hiring process is to verify that potential employees have not been excluded from participating in federal programs for mandatory exclusions (including for fraud, controlled substances crimes, patient abuse or neglect, or other program-related crimes) or for other permissive exclusions by the Office of Inspector General. A "Yes" response would be considered disqualifying. Please answer the following question accordingly: Have you received notice that you are under review for possible exclusion from any federal programs (including Medicare, Medicaid, or any other federal healthcare program)?
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Faculty Letter of Reference 1
- Faculty Letter of Reference 2
- Faculty Letter of Reference 3