Content Specialist & Writer
DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Office of the Dean, Communications Shared Services
Working Job Title: Content Specialist & Writer
Official Job Title: Communications Senior Professional
Position # 00777050 – Requisition #19357
The University of Colorado School of Medicine Communications Shared Services team is seeking a talented individual to fill the role of a full-time Content Specialist & Writer. This position is responsible for planning, developing and executing compelling content that is consistent with CU brand messaging. Content development will include – but is not limited to – research, health prevention, clinical topics and patient experience. The position requires exceptional attention to detail, the ability to stay on task and the ability to work with varying levels of staff and faculty to gather information, write and distribute content appropriately. The position requires excellent project management abilities in a fast-paced environment.This position, while supporting Departments within the School of Medicine, will be a member of the CU School of Medicine communications team. This growing team's goal is to connect the communications between the school and its departments, divisions and centers.
Writing and communicationsSupervision Received
Assistant Director of Communications and MarketingSupervision Exercised
NoneExamples of Work Performed
- Actively seeks out stories and creates (blogs, patients stories, video blogs, press releases) content about research, patient care, clinical trials, doctors, patients, donors, fundraising and health prevention to promote represented departments, divisions and centers.
- Monitors local, regional and national health care news and ensures website includes appropriate information about/responses to this news by interviewing key members for reactions and creating associated news releases or web content.
- Conducts keyword research and SEO guidelines to increase content performance and web traffic.
- Tracks medical conferences and campus representatives who are presenting to promote.
- Publishes content on Sitefinity, HubSpot and EurekaAlert.
- Drafts social media posts and newsletter content to promote articles.
- Lead editor and organizer on 1 or more publications (magazine and/or annual report).
- Builds and maintains relationships with department, division and center members and staff.
- Collaborates with CU School of Medicine, Anschutz Medical Campus, UCHealth, Children’s Hospital Colorado and Veterans Affairs and others as appropriate.
- Identifies and implements best practices with regard to communication practices, strategies and tools.
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, marketing, communications, public or media relations, journalism or other related fields.
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis.
- 3 years of experience working in communications and writing.
- Experience with project management, prioritization, timelines and ensuring on-time deliverables.
3-5 articles showing experience writing after an interview with a patient, doctor, researcher or other professional.Preferred Requirements
- Some experience with writing about science-specific topics and/or the health care sector.
- 5 or more years of experience working in communications and writing.
- Experience performing communications related duties in a health care or higher education institution.
- Involvement with videography and video editing.
- Experience working in a web content management system (Sitefinity, HubSpot).
- Ability to write for both consumer and clinical audiences.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office.
- Exceptional independent writing skills and experience using them to develop clear, concise and key message-focused communications.
- Excellent knowledge in editing and grammar, including AP style.
- Demonstrated ability to capture the voice of a brand/person and consistently.
- Highly organized and dependable; able to multitask, work quickly and effectively manage numerous deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Dedicated to producing excellent work and excellent customer service.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Oct 9, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing