OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH NURSE (70428)
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Perform a variety of professional duties involved in developing and delivering occupational health nursing services for client companies of the Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine Occupational Health Service; assist in planning, implementing and evaluating health maintenance and health education programs; contribute to the design of health controls and surveillance relative to toxic or hazardous conditions in the work environment.
- Assist in planning, developing, implementing, managing and evaluating occupational health and health promotions programs for client companies in cooperation with the company and the Duke University Occupational Health Service; assist in developing objectives for occupational health services through a collaborative role with company corporate philosophy and the Duke Occupational Health Service medical consultant.
- Provide on-site emergency care to employees within the guidelines of written medical orders at client companies; mange chronic health care of employees within the guidelines of written medical orders, providing medications, health assessment, and referral.
- Develop and/or maintain and audit employee health records to ensure continuity of care, employee confidentiality and feedback to management, in compliance with government regulation, company policy and applicable Codes of Ethnics.
- Perform worksite walk-through assessments to determine employee work processes and potential sources of illness and injury; use epidemiological methods to define and monitor the health and safety needs of company employees; contribute to the design of health controls and surveillance of actual and potential toxic or hazardous conditionsin the work environment.
- Assist in evaluating the occupational health and safety programs of client companies and recommend changes in policies, procedures, or programs; assist in evaluating cost-effectiveness of Occupational HealthService for client companies.
- Provide individual counseling sessions to employees on health maintenance, results of health screenings and health promotion activities; provide pre-employment and random drug and alcohol screening of employees as requested by client companies; recommend, purchase, and maintain medical supplies and equipment necessary for the optimal functioning of the occupational health service of client companies.Collaborate with other on-site members of the occupational health team such as occupational medicine physician, industrial hygienist, safety engineers, management and union representatives, etc.; participate in continuing education to update knowledge of occupational health and safety including legal regulations applicable to occupational health and safety.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein. The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Work requires completion of an accredited Bachelor's of Science in Nursing, Associates degree inNursing, or Nursing Diploma program with coursework in occupational and/or environmental safety. State of North Carolina licensure is also required.
Work requires six months of nursing experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.