RESPIRATORY CARE PRACTITIONER, ADVANCED - LIFE FLIGHT (NEONATAL/PEDIATRIC TEAM)
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke University Life Flight Neonatal/Pediatric Respiratory Therapist – Advanced
Mission: The mission statement of the Life Flight Critical Care Transport Team at Duke University Health System is to consistently deliver competent, high quality patient care to the acutely ill or injured neonatal, pediatric patient and their families.
Relocation allowance offered for out-of-state candidates and for eligible in-state candidates living outside of a mileage radius (75 miles) of Duke University Hospital.
Over 100 free CEU’s offered onsite each year including ventilation and airway management, pulmonary disease management, patient / family education and high-frequency ventilation symposium.
ECMO training and certification program offered annually for selected candidates.
1. Completion of a two year AMA approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or equivalent), with a Bachelor Degree preferred.
2. Currently registered by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NRBC).
3. A minimum of three years (4 years preferred) in clinical respiratory therapy including a minimum of one year in intensive care respiratory therapy. Advanced certification required (NPS) within two years of hire. If hired with critical care transport experience, NPS advanced certification required upon hire.
4. Excellent health as documented on a post offer employment physical exam.
• No physical disabilities that cannot be accommodated.
• Vision: 20/40 corrected
5. Physically fit to allow for functional movement in an aircraft or ambulance and the ability to wear the Duke approved helmet.
• Max weight 240 pounds- air crew. Max height 6’4”-air crew-See Weight Standards policy
6. Current certification in BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP. The following to be completed within one year: PHTLS, BTLS, ITLS (until TPATC obtained).
7. TPATC/PATC (Transport Professional Advanced Trauma Course/Pediatric Advanced Trauma Course) certification within 18 months of hire. TPATC/PATC will have a 6 month grace period for renewal from expiration date.
8. Previous teaching and/or public speaking experience preferred.
9. Willingness to commit a minimum of two years to the Critical Care Transport Program.
10.Demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
EducationCompletion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program requirements (Associates Degree or the equivalent). Must maintain annual skill maintenance requirements Must maintain annual safety/compliance Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEUs
ExperienceSix months to one year of clinical experience following graduation from a respiratory care program.
Degrees, Licensures, CertificationsNorth Carolina State Licensure Registry ( RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC) Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRPS) if applicable to institution
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.