SUPPLY CHAIN ASSOCIATE
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform duties in computerized order entry, distribution of all supplies, linen, equipment, shipping and receiving of hospital merchandise. Able to maintain good inventory management processes; meeting supply needs with prompt delivery, assuring accuracy of issues and insures the good working order and availability of equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Have responsibilities in at least one of the following areas in order to ensure optimal inventory management for in-scope facilities:
- In accordance with established policies and procedures, Level 1 staff are required to: Distribute and restock supplies and/or linen to end users in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Use appropriate Supply Chain technologies (Pyxis and SAP) to document movement of supplies
- Perform cycle count on a regular basis to ensure accuracy of stock levels in all areas
- Check expiration dates on supplies on a regular basis and document and discard expired products
- Accept and sign for deliveries from distributors as necessary
- Inspect shipments, enter Goods Receipts into SAP, filing packing slips
- Report identified shipment discrepancies to SC onsite management
- Prepare and ship out Vendor Returns, rotation of stock in all areas
- Move and stock supplies to appropriate shelfing locations once receiving is complete
- Transport shipments from loading dock to stockroom and deliver packages to appropriate purchasers. Deliver non-supply items when specified (e.g. medical gas, linen) in a timely manner
- Participate and perform mid-year and year-end inventory counts
- Ensure all STAT orders are completed according to specified service level agreement
- Demonstrate excellent customer service when interacting with end customers to address linen and/or supply questions
- Ensure all Supply Chain work areas are clean and organized, including all other supply storage areas throughout the facility
- Proactively provide recommendations on operational efficiency improvements to Supply Chain management
- In addition to the responsibilities of Level 1 listed above, the Level 2 is expected to perform the following responsibilities: at least 50% of their time on a multitude of functions below.
- In accordance with established policies and procedures, Level 2 staff are required to:
- Act as a mentor/precept to all Level 1 Supply Chain Associates; act as back-up Team Lead if necessary
- Demonstrate excellent customer service in all areas when interacting with our customers. Including the nursing floors and OR environment (physicians, surgery techs/nurses, Cath Lab techs/nurses or other specialty area techs/nurses) to address supply-related questions; as necessary
- Deliver, manage and coordinate supplies/other products to off-site clinics and/or facilities as needed
- Manage inventory; assist in preparations and perform annual inventory. Oversee consignment inventory and processes. May oversee inventory management of procedural areas
- Proactively collaborate with other Supply Chain stakeholders to adjust par levels and address slow moving items based on supply usage
- Troubleshoot supply shortage issues and articulate known impact
- Effective use of the ERP system to pull reports, find products, use handheld technologies for delivery and PAR replenishment, run reports in SAP to close out daily transactions
- SME (Subject Matter Expert) for the TIMS module; including receiving and documenting.
- Able to pull EPIC Reports and use as a tool and/or pull reports from Pyxis and analyze data to provide appropriate recommendations.
- Participate in PERT, OR EDIT, and VAT discussions as needed (as assigned)
- Vendor Management, access and utilize Vendormate (as assigned)
- Work with customers to help reconcile invoices as needed
- Able to work and complete all assigned tasks with minimal supervision from Team Lead and Manager
- Level 1 & 2: General ability and willingness to perform additional job functions (within reason) that are necessary to ensure safe patient care practices as directed by supply chain management. Are required to be cross- trained and perform, when needed, in other Supply Chain related responsibilities.
- Working at Duke University Health System requires the ability to work cooperatively and communicate well with others to achieve organizational and team goals, to work with professional manner in responding to customers' needs and ability to work in a computerized environment.
Required Qualifications at this Level
HS Diploma/G.E.D. required.
Some college level coursework preferred, but not required
- At least 1 year of work experience, including experience in one of the following areas: distribution, warehousing, shipping, receiving, logistics, material handling, customer service, inventory control, or other comparable service line. Strongly prefer experience in a fast- paced, customer service environment.
- 2 years of work experience, to include experience in at least one of the following disciplines: distribution, warehousing, shipping, receiving, logistics, material handling, customer service, inventory control or other comparable service line.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Valid Driver's License - may be required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have the ability to exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- In this particular job the exertional requirements to push/pull the unloaded and loaded supply carts with the duty requiring up to 100 pounds of exertional force daily. Reaching, lifting, stooping and bending are frequent in daily duties.
- Ability to strive to improve processes to enhance services.
- Work cooperatively with others to achieve organizational and team goals.
- Ability to contribute in creating new ideas and problem solving.
- Possess a sense of urgency and a proactive customer service philosophy
- In addition to those above, must have: Experience using an ERP system
- Competency in inventory management
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.