Food Service Worker (temporary)
Posting DetailsOpen Date10/08/2020Close DateClassification TitleFood Service Worker, Sewanee DiningDivisionTreasurerDepartmentBusiness Services - Sewanee DiningFLSA StatusNon-Exempt HourlyCareer/Pay BandNE3Work ScheduleOther (list below)If Other, specify monthsFull year with periodic shutdownsFull Time vs Part TimePart TimeAppointmentRegularIf Term, specify number of yearsTemporary for maximum 3 months with possibility of regular appointmentPrimary Function
Responsible for the preparation and service of the food, provide proper production, storage of cut and prepared fruit and vegetables, salads, and sandwiches. Maintain the cleaning, sanitation, supply, and general upkeep to many areas of the dining operation. Assignment will be unit specific for retail location, catering, and board operations.Typical Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists the Management staff with all aspects of the dining and catering program.
- Ensure proper timing, quality and consistency of all dinning and catering events including but not limited to: moving tables, chairs, and assisting wth table settings.
- Ensure that dining and catering equipment is maintained and properly operated including but not limited to: knives, robot coupe, buffalo choppers, slicers, dicers, etc.
- Ensure food safety and sanitation (Servsafe) standards are followed and maintained.
- Supports management team in reducing food waste and supply waste.
- Prepare individual portions of salads, sandwiches, fruit cups, and other similiar items.
- Prepare the cold item production for the salad bar, vegan, pizza, homeline, grill, and wok station, deli line, ad catering operations.
- Maintain temperature logs and take tempertures of food regularly and record data as instructed by management.
- Set-up dish machine, fill dish machine tanks, check chemical levels in preparation for washing dishes.
- Load dishes, glasses, and flatware into dishwashing machine.
- Transport clean dishes, glasses, and flatware to shelves/stations for use.
- Set up garbage cans to receive trash and compost bins for compostable materials. When trash cans are full, bring trash to the compactor.
- Sweep and mop dish room, dining room, and serving area floors.
- Wash doors, walls, and window as directed.
- Wash pots and pans in the three compartment sink. Set up three compartment sink in accordance with manufactures recommendations, Servsafe, and TN Health Dept. standards.
- Clean and maintain dining room tables and floors.
- In the dining area, keep the condiment areas and beverage stations cleaned and replenished.
- Other duties as assigned.
Equipment in an institutional kitchen; combi ovens, chargrill, fryer, kettles, food processors, griddle, hot hold, cold hold, induction cookers, steam table lines, propane grill, dish machine, tray return conveyor system, beverage machines, floor cleaning machine, various knives, cutting boards, slicers, and dicers.Education
some high school course work; High School Diploma or GED preferred.Experience
Entry level position- previous food service experience is preferred.Job Related Skills
Time management skills, ability to work and stand for long period of time, bend at the knees, make repetitive hand movements. Lift objects up to 25 lbs and more with assistance.Licenses/Certification
Servsafe food handler certification must be obtained within six months of hire date.Student Contact
Regular interaction with student diners and other members of the campus community, including guests and alumniInternal
Limited interactionSupervision ReceivedThis position works with considerable independence and self-direction. Only general direction and scope of the work to be accomplished are discussed with supervisor.Positions Directly Supervised
NonePositions Indirectly Supervised
General Food Service workers and serversConfidential Information
Related personnel informationWorking Environment
High volume kitchen, remote catering event sites, catering sites can be outdoor/indoor events in all types of weather, heavy equipment, cold storage, hot storage, sometimes slippery floors, loading docks and truck beads, high volume fast pasted work environmentPhysical RequirementsMust be able to stand for extended periods of time, Must be able to walk for extended periods of time, Must be able to lift between 21-50 pounds (Medium work), Must be able to carry between 21-50 pounds (Medium work)Any additional requirements specific to this position
Must be able to wear an approved mask for prolonged periods while performing job duties and responsibilitiesUniversity Information
The University of the South comprises a well-regarded College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and a distinguished School of Theology. It is an institution of the Episcopal Church that welcomes individuals of all backgrounds. The University is located on a striking, 13,000-acre campus on Tennessee’s Cumberland Plateau.EEO Statement
The University of the South is an equal opportunity educational institution that is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive campus environment.Employment PrescreeningEligibility for employment is contingent upon successful prescreeningNon-Discrimination Statement
The University of the South stands firmly for the principle that its
employees, students, and participants of university-sponsored programs and
activities have a right to be free from discrimination based on race,
color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy and childbirth, and
genetic information. As required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of
1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with
Disabilities Act of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, Title VII of
the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of
1972, the University does not discriminate on the basis of sex or other
protected categories in the educational programs or activities which it
operates. This requirement of non-discrimination extends to admission to
and employment in those programs or activities. The University is committed
to sustaining a community in which the dignity of every individual is
respected. Key to this value are efforts to nurture an environment of
civility and mutual respect and to foster a culture of reporting concerns
so that the University can respond promptly and equitably whenever an
incident occurs. All employees, students, and participants of
university-sponsored programs and activities have the right to be free from
harassment and retaliation.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter