Academic Program Specialist, Actuarial Science - Mathematics (133981)
Academic Program Specialist
Department of Mathematics
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Academic Program Specialist, under the guidance of the Director of the Actuarial Science Program, will serve as the primary advisor to Masters students in the program, assists the Director in curriculum development and career advising, provides counsel for graduate students regarding professional options, assists with marketing and recruitment to the Actuarial Science program, and assists the Director with other administrative duties.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise current and prospective Masters students.
- Provide expert advice on Actuarial Science exams, internships and careers.
- Serve as a liaison and internal resource between the Director and faculty, students, staff, and Actuarial Science Club, and externally between the Director and other campus units (i.e. Graduate College, Office of Admission, etc.) as well as off campus visitors.
Assessment and Program Development:
- Monitor and manage Actuarial Science and Risk Management courses and student registration.
- Research and report information using student data and industry trends.
- Manage program specific scholarship programs.
- Manage the Actuarial Science Advisory Board and alumni relationship (lead the meeting, putting together the content for the meeting, present material with assistance from the faculty, leads the nurturing of the alumni relationship throughout the year).
- Lead and coordinate non-instructional courses, such as ASRM 398- Actuarial Leadership, ASRM 598- Literature Seminar.
- Coordinate necessary accreditation processes for current and future programs.
Outreach, Recruiting, and Marketing:
- Create content for the Actuarial Science newsletter and other promotional materials.
- Assist in planning Actuarial Science Program events as necessary.
- Assist in recruiting and admission of graduate students.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration between the program and industry such as internships, research opportunities, case study challenges, workshops, etc.
Other Duties as Assigned to further the mission of the unit.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or another quantitative field with a substantial mathematics background. Two years of professional work experience in the insurance, financial services industries or in academia, including proven track record of at least one year of experience in mentoring junior actuaries or risk management professionals, or teaching at the college or university level. Professional credentials in actuarial science or risk management.
Preferred: Master’s degree in a quantitative field. Experience programming in a database environment. Proficiency with databases beyond spreadsheet proficiency.
Successful candidates will have excellent interpersonal skills with strong oral and written communication; demonstrated ability and commitment to working with culturally diverse groups; strong organizational skills; commitment to diversity and inclusion; ability to assume responsibility and to work independently with minimum guidance as well as work harmoniously with a wide range of constituencies, including faculty, staff, students, and the public.
The Academic Program Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu, directly apply to our position and upload your cover letter and resume by November 5, 2020. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-6747. For further information on this specific position please contact Emily Lange at [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Liberal Arts & Sciences Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Academic Program Specialist, Actuarial Science - Mathematics (133981) Open Date:10/08/2020 Close Date:11/05/2020 Organization Name:Mathematics