Computer Support Specialist 1
Computer Support Specialist 1
Search #: 494800
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Information Technology
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences’ (CLAS) Computer Support Group at the University of Connecticut seeks qualified applicants for the position of Computer Support Specialist 1. Under the direction of the CLAS Director of IT and senior team members, the candidate will provide IT support for the college, including support for computers, hardware, software, printers, mobile devices, A/V, networking, web applications, and research support. Tasks include hardware and software installation, diagnosis, troubleshooting and integration.
The University offers great benefits including retirement benefits, health coverage (including dental), good work life balance with flexible scheduling, 35-hour work week, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave, tuition waivers, access to modern hardware, technology training and learning opportunities, and more.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, diagnoses and repairs computer software, hardware and network problems for a variety of computer users.
- Collaborates with or refers problems to appropriate technical staff/technicians/groups when appropriate.
- Facilitates general computer and IT resource usage by the faculty, staff, and students through a wide variety of means that includes patient, professional and personalized consultation, instruction, setup and troubleshooting.
- Images and deploys computers with data, software, settings and preferences transfers.
- Assists with installing, debugging, testing, tracking, and monitoring a wide range of commercial and/or open source software and hardware for desktop computers, laptop computers and mobile devices as required.
- Prepares documentation and learning materials to improve user knowledge of computing and information technology.
- Assists with the development of plans and processes that ensure the minimum risk to systems and services.
- Maintains routine security and cleanliness of computing areas and resources.
- Consults, collaborates and assists other team members on various tasks and projects.
- Tracks and documents work and projects for internal knowledge base, lessons learned, consistency and excellence of service as well as team-collaboration purposes
- Performs related duties as required.
- Pursue ongoing learning in the pursuit of the above duties and responsibilities and other CLAS IT needs; cross-training and collaboration with colleagues as well as professional development opportunities will be available.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of education and training, and one or more years of experience in computer programming, computer technical support, computer consulting or computer operations.
- Aptitude for and willingness to develop technical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to handle non-trivial technical problems or other IT related tasks while potentially under stress or with time constraints.
- Thorough understanding of computer hardware, software, peripherals, and standard operating systems.
- Basic understanding/working level knowledge of Ethernet, Wi-Fi and IP networks and protocols in general.
- Experience with office productivity software.
- Ability to tolerate dust exposure and to lift 50 pounds.
- Technical certification by CompTIA, Microsoft, Apple, etc.
- Advanced computer hardware and/or software knowledge.
- Experience with hardware maintenance and/or repair
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of Desktop Administration including Management and Imaging.
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of Active Directory Administration.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Ethernet and IP networks and protocols.
- Experience in a formal tech support role
- Demonstrated ability to create and/or follow complex plans and strategies.
- Experience writing or adapting scripts or computer code
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision.
The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition waivers, and a highly desirable work environment.TO APPLYPlease apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #494800 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on October 21, 2020.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Oct 07 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Oct 21 2020 Eastern Daylight Time