Associate Vice President and Controller
Manhattan School of Music is a remarkable institution with a century-long history of extraordinary success. From its beginnings as a small settlement music school, MSM has become an internationally recognized conservatory and leading force in professional music education. The largest independent conservatory in the nation offering degrees in classical music, jazz, and musical theatre, MSM has upheld its tradition of excellence in music education throughout its history. MSM is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
The Associate VP and Controller is responsible for the coordination of all financial activity and works with the Senior VP/CFO to review and analyze MSM’s fiscal affairs and to implement sound financial practices. Primary duties include the development, analysis, and interpretation of budgets and accounting information to inform decision-making. This position provides oversight for all accounting and payroll functions, either directly or through the Assistant Controller.
• Collaborates broadly in the development, presentation, and periodic review of annual budgets, as well as longer-term forecasts. Analyzes variances and updates projections.
• Prepares monthly and annual financial statements.
• Oversees all accounting functions and processes.
• Manages, develops, and mentors staff.
• Ensures appropriate internal controls and best practices in financial operations.
• Maintains oversight of investments, debt, and other credit facilities and agreements.
• Forecasts and manages cash flow and banking transactions.
• Ensures compliance with regulatory, taxing, and funding authorities, including timely reporting.
• Assists in the planning and implementation of business software to advance and streamline processes.
• Impeccable integrity and good judgment.
• In-depth and current knowledge of not-for-profit accounting, preferably in private higher education.
• Technical proficiency with accounting software (Jenzabar familiarity a plus), Excel, and other tools.
• Ability to communicate complex financial information in a clear, concise way; excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
• Skill in analyzing complex problems and developing and evaluating options.
• Experience managing external relationships with bankers, auditors, investment managers, et al.
• Eight to ten years in financial management.
• Bachelor’s degree; preference for CPA, MBA, or other master’s degree in relevant field; or significant experience at Controller level or above in a college or university.
Equal employment and equal educational opportunity have been and will continue to be fundamental principles at Manhattan School of Music, where employment and enrollment are based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination or harassment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, the status of being transgender, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Manhattan School of Music does not permit retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice or participate in an investigation.