Sr. Advisor, Financial Assistance
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-18
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Senior Advisor, Financial Assistance counsels and provides student financial aid and scholarship information to prospective and currently enrolled students and their families. May develop special projects and recommendations. Uses professional judgment to solve financial aid problems.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Advises and counsels students, parents, and/or prospective students in person, via phone, and email with regard to all areas related to the financial aid application and awarding process to include scholarships, loans, grants, employment and financial counseling.
• Completes a thorough needs analysis assessment by reviewing tax and income related documentation.
• Coordinates financial assistance/educational benefits and scholarship programs as directed.
• Performs all technical and clerical tasks and procedures to process student’s award/certification status for financial assistance/educational benefits and scholarship programs.
• Reviews student files and correspondence, awards financial aid, makes decisions regarding use of professional judgment regarding student and/or family special circumstances.
• Assists in facilitating workshops and makes presentations on and off campus to groups regarding financial aid and scholarships.
• Serves as liaison with other related university offices or departments.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Analyzes and interprets financial assistance/educational benefits data.
• Interprets and explains financial aid federal/state regulations and rules.
• Experience working with tax related documents is highly preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills is required.
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Any appropriate combination of relevant education and/or work experience may be considered.
Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
• Three (3) years of relevant work experience in customer service. Experience in a financial aid or financial analyst capacity is highly preferred.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c104