Librarian Associate Professor
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-07
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Head of Learning, Research, and Clinical Information Services (LRCIS)
The University of Miami (UM) Libraries seeks nominations and applications for a creative, innovative professional to serve as the Head of the Department of Learning, Research, and Clinical Information Services (LRCIS) on UM’s Medical Campus. Under the direction of the Associate Dean for Health Science Services / Executive Director of the Medical Library, the Head of LRCIS leads a team of librarians whose expertise and knowledge base support educational, clinical, research, and administrative activities at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine (UMMSoM). Specifically, this includes leadership and managerial responsibility for the development and teaching of classes, expert searching of the biomedical literature, reference services, unit liaisons, creation and maintenance of resource guides and other web content, and clinical, data, and research services in support of UMMSoM students, faculty, staff and residents, and primary teaching hospital personnel. Selected services in support of unaffiliated health care professionals, librarians, and the public are also provided.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership and direction in a team-based environment;
- In consultation with LRCIS faculty and library administration, sets and defines departmental goals and objectives;
- Contributes to library planning as an active member of the Library's administrative team;
- Fosters the development of innovative approaches to services;
- Assesses the effectiveness of learning, research, and clinical information services;
- Mentors, supervises, and manages LRCIS faculty;
- Organizes, interprets, and maintains departmental statistics;
- Participates in trials and evaluation of prospective resources;
- Identifies training and continuing education needs of LRCIS faculty;
- Promotes library services on campus and to the community-at-large;
- In pursuit of the Libraries’ and University’s strategic objectives, models the University’s “DIRECCT” values (diversity, integrity, responsibility, excellence, compassion, creativity, and teamwork).
- Oversees department’s social media activities;
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Networks, collaborates and actively participates in local, regional, national, or international organizations, especially those pertaining to health sciences librarianship and leadership.
- Represents and promotes the University of Miami Libraries in local, state-wide, regional, national, or international organizations, as appropriate.
- Serves on/participates in Libraries and University organizations, committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate.
- Participates in Medical Campus service projects in the South Florida community, as appropriate.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited program or foreign equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in reference services department at an academic medical institution or 5 years combined experience in health sciences reference position at an academic medical institution and a hospital.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of health sciences information resources, including specialized clinical and biomedical research tools.
- Knowledge of trends in scholarship, pedagogy, research services and reference services.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in the creation and evaluation of new services.
- Effective administrative and supervisory experience that contributes to a positive work environment.
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to facilitate team-building and collaboration within the department and library, and with colleagues and peers across the medical campus and university.
- Demonstrated effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centered library service and the ability to work
flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally
- Demonstrated project management, organizational, analytical, and problem solving
skills including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated teaching experience.
- Evidence of continued professional development, involvement, and contribution.
- Documented collaboration with clinical or basic science researchers.
- Off-campus community outreach experience.
- Grant-writing experience.
- Record of promoting equity, inclusion, and awareness of diversity by including individuals of diverse identities and perspectives in research, teaching, and other work.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
The University of Miami (www.miami.edu) is one of the nation’s leading research universities in a community of extraordinary diversity and international vitality. The University is a privately supported, non-sectarian institution located in Coral Gables, Florida, on a 260-acre subtropical campus with operations at three additional locations throughout the greater Miami region: Medical campus (downtown Miami); Marine and Atmospheric Science campus (Virginia Key); and South Campus (Richmond Facility). The University comprises eleven degree granting schools and colleges, including Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Communication, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Marine and Atmospheric Science.
The University of Miami Libraries (UML) rank among the top 50 research libraries in North America with a collection of over 4 million volumes and, 123,652 current serial subscriptions. UML comprises six libraries across the University’s three campuses. UML locations on the Coral Gables campus include: the Otto G. Richter Library (the central, interdisciplinary library); the Paul Buisson Architecture Library; the Judi Prokop Newman Business Information Resource Center; and the Marta and Austin Weeks Music Library. The downtown Miami campus hosts the Louis Calder Memorial Library. The Virginia Key campus hosts the Rosenstiel Marine and Atmospheric Science Library. Libraries at the School of Law and the Department of Ophthalmology in the Medical School are administered independently. The University of Miami Libraries provide support and services for 11,307 undergraduates, 6,504 graduate students, and 16,846 full and part time faculty and staff. UML employs 103 professionals (including 70 librarian faculty), 78 support staff and 90 student employees. UML is a member of and contributor to the Association of Research Libraries, Association of Southeast Research Libraries, Association of Academic Health Science Libraries, Council on Library and Information Resources, OCLC Research Library Partners, International Federation of Library Associations, Center for Research Libraries, International Association of University Libraries, Library Publishing Coalition, Digital Library Federation, Hathi Trust, Academic Preservation Trust, Consortium of Southern Biomedical Libraries, Florida Collaboration of Academic Libraries of Medicine and Southeast Florida Library and Information Network. UML licenses electronic resources through the Northeast Research Libraries and Lyrasis consortia. UML is a member of the Rosemont Shared Print Alliance, Scholars Trust and Florida Academic Repository (FLARE).
The Louis Calder Memorial Library is located on the UM medical campus near downtown Miami, approximately 8 miles from Coral Gables. Its staff of 22 primarily serves the Miller School of Medicine’s educational and biomedical research programs, and UM’s clinical enterprise, UHealth. Library services are also provided to the Medical School’s primary teaching hospital, which shares a campus with the Miller School. The Miller School of Medicine’s regional campus is located in Boca Raton, Florida.
Other University of Miami libraries include the Paul Buisson Architecture Library, the Judi Prokop Newman Business Information Resource Center, the Marta & Austin Weeks Music Library, and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science Library. The University has an independent law library. The Libraries provide support and services for approximately 11,273 undergraduates, 5,501 graduate students, and 13,576 full and part time faculty and staff. Excluding the independent libraries, the University Libraries employ 68 professional and 80 support staff and are a member of ARL, ASERL, CLIR, CRL, NERL, OCLC Research Library Partners, HathiTrust, APTrust, DPN, SEFLIN and Lyrasis.
Salary and Benefits:
Compensation will be competitive and will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the person selected. Appointments at the Librarian Associate Professor rank and above are typically five-year, renewable contracts. The University of Miami offers a comprehensive benefits package including: 403b retirement plan; medical, dental, and vision benefits; life, disability, and long-term care insurance available; tuition remission; thirteen paid holidays; and twenty-two days annual vacation. Additional employment benefits available include credit union; Employee Assistance Program; bookstore and sporting event discounts; and optional fee-based membership in a state-of-the-art wellness center. Moving allowance is available. No state or local income taxes.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. The references will not be contacted before the appropriate time. Materials should be combined in one .pdf file and uploaded when prompted for one’s Resume/CV (5MB max).
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. The University has a strong commitment to diversity and encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:FacultyPay Grade:50