GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or Designee, the Research Associate performs a variety of complex research experiments.
- Conducts in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Performs complex laboratory experiments
- Interprets data, forms conclusion, and decides on and plans next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Compiles and analyzes data and performs computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- Assists in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Reviews literature
- Trains new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment
- Complies with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 1 year relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- Molecular biology experience: cloning, PCR, site directed mutagenesis
- Microbiology: growth of bacteria
Soil-transmitted helminths are parasitic worms, such as hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm. STH infections can deprive the body of blood and nutrients, disproportionately affecting populations living in poverty primarily due to morbidity associated with malnutrition and anemia, leading to severe stunting in hundreds of millions of children. Severe anemia in pregnancy is a significant contributor to maternal mortality. New and better drugs are needed to cope with these parasites. This research will will focus on optimizing the antiparasitic protein Cry5B (a naturally occurring protein from the soil bacterium Bacillus thuringiensis), with the aim of producing an inexpensive, broad-spectrum Cry5B product suitable for use by adults, children, and pregnant women as an alternative to, or in combination with, existing drugs used in global deworming campaigns. Looking for dynamic individuals to join our team with a strong desire and work ethic to improve the lives of billions of the poorest people and to be involved with a prestigious GHIT global health grant.
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise Lab Technicians and Aides
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.Additional Information