Director of Undergraduate Admission & Recruitment
Director of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment
Founded in 1869, Chatham University has an enrollment of over 2,200 students across over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs in our areas of excellence: sustainability & health, the arts & sciences and business & communications. Chatham has consistently been named a College of Distinction and a "Best College" by U.S. News & World Report, and--as the alma mater of environmental icon, Rachel Carson (Class of '29)--is perennially ranked as one of the greenest colleges in the United States by Sierra Magazine and the Princeton Review.
Chatham's mission is: "to prepare students to build lives of purpose, value and fulfilling work...by preparing graduates to be informed and engaged citizens in their communities; to recognize and respect diversity of culture, identity, and opinion; and to live sustainably." Building on this mission, Chatham is committed to creating a supportive and inclusive learning, living and working environment for all members of the campus community.
Chatham consists of the School of Health Sciences; the Falk School of Sustainability & Environment; the School of Arts, Science and Business; and the School for Continuing & Professional Studies.
Located in Pittsburgh, PA--one of the country's most livable cities and great college towns--Chatham is spread across three distinct locations: the historic arboretum, Shadyside Campus; Chatham Eastside in the fast-growing East End; and Eden Hall Campus, one of the world's most sustainable campuses.
Chatham University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. Chatham University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
To help support the work of the University, we have an immediate opening for Director of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment.
Position Reports To: Vice President for Enrollment Management
Position Summary: The Director of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment is a senior position in the Office of Enrollment Management, reporting to the Vice President for Enrollment Management. The Director is responsible for successfully meeting goals to enroll undergraduate students. This position is responsible for managing outreach, recruitment, and selection of students, to ensure the successful enrollment of traditional, adult, and international first year and transfer students, both on ground and online. This position includes planning, management and coordination of processes, program events, travel, and relationships with high schools, community colleges, counselors, students, parents, faculty, and alumni/parent/student volunteers. The Director collaborates with senior managers across the Division of Enrollment Management to achieve enrollment and retention goals. The Director will possess proven management skills and the critical thinking and analytical skills necessary to lead a dynamic and enthusiastic enrollment team. Chatham actively sustains recruitment and enrollment as a shared responsibility across the institution and the Director of Undergraduate Admissions & Recruitment will experience a supportive campus climate to grow Chatham's footprint and influence nationally and internationally.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible positions in enrollment management. Staff supervision and management required.
- Demonstrated leadership ability; record of successful team building and staff development; proven ability to be creative and strategic while working effectively and efficiently with diverse faculty, staff, students and the wider community.
- Experience working with a diverse student population.
- Ability to think creatively, strategically and collaboratively in order to meet enrollment goals.
- Excellent listening and organizational skills; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with diverse populations.
- Strong customer service orientation; ability to interact and collaborate professionally with a variety of constituencies both on- and off-campus.
- Ability to use and analyze data, create reports, spreadsheets, electronic presentation software in order to make and communicate data driven decisions.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; follow through and meet deadlines.
- Work includes some evenings and weekends throughout year as well as some recruitment related travel.
- Commitment to Affirmative Action goals.
- A valid driver's license.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a strategic and dynamic recruitment plan while managing a team effort toward understanding and grasping the ever-changing trends in student interest and enrollment behaviors.
- Continue to train and develop the admissions team for outreach, recruitment, application review, selection, and enrollment of the admission market specific to Chatham.
- Plan, organize, budget, assign, and oversee the cycle of virtual and on-ground travel, college fairs, event coverage, and recruiting and yield events for undergraduate admission.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate marketing and outreach efforts to achieve immediate and long-term enrollment goals for new students.
- In collaboration with the VP, plan and maintain a comprehensive marketing and geographic recruitment strategy to attract new markets and expand the student base.
- Direct the application review process, including timing, file completion, and benchmarking of comparative and qualifying data to admit and reach enrollment goals.
- With the VP, establish admission standards and criteria that meet university strategic goals for enrollment and retention.
- Use university and outside tools, resources, and technologies for business intelligence, data reporting and analysis to guide recruitment and admission.
- As part of the strategic recruitment plan, develop strong working avenues with outside vendors ensuring strong ROI and strategic focus on enrollment goals.
- With the Associate Director of International Recruitment, develop the international recruitment and admissions plan to increase degree seeking and English Language Program enrollment. Communicate and collaborate with the office of International Affairs to facilitate partnerships.
- In collaboration with the Office of Alumni Affairs, continue to support and expand the alumni/parent volunteer program, and continuation of ongoing collaborative projects.
- Collaborate with the Athletic department on recruitment and admission of athletes upholding a Division III model of student athlete.
- Collaborate with the Dean of the School of Health Sciences, Dean of the School of Arts, Science and Business, and the Dean of the Falk School of Sustainability & Environment to develop academic recruitment strategies which meet academic enrollment goals.
- Develop and manage recruitment and admissions for the pre-college High School Scholars program and summer school admission.
- In collaboration with the VP for Enrollment and the VP for Communications and Marketing, develop a schedule for updating and delivering communication plans, publications, social media, and marketing materials that communicate strategically with undergraduate students. Leverage CRM, direct mail, and other tools.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate performance of the undergraduate admission professional staff and student ambassadors to achieve the objectives of the University's enrollment management plan through direct coaching and mentoring; professional development and supervisory responsibilities that are in accordance with University policies and applicable laws.
- Develop strong relationships with the high school and community college counseling community, admission volunteers, faculty, administrators, and SEM colleagues in order to expand Chatham regionally and nationally.
- Ensure appropriate representation and strategic expansion of Chatham visibility at high schools, community colleges, alumni meetings, high school events, and related programs. This position may require travel in support of enrollment outreach and goals.
- Evaluate and implement policies, procedures, and standards for efficient and effective operation of the undergraduate admission process. Assure guidelines and procedures are consistent with Chatham University mission, goals and applicable regulations, and are responsive to the needs of students and staff.
- In collaboration with the admission Operations Team, expand the utilization of Technolutions Slate CRM platform and reporting functionality ensuring data integrity and reporting confidence.
- Develop and provide VP actionable data driven reports to assist university leadership with decision-making.
- Remain current on emerging technologies, innovative management tools, and admission best practices.
- Manage associated expenditures in support of recruitment initiatives and monitor departmental budget to ensure efficient use of available funds.
- Represent the Office of Admission and the Division of Enrollment Management on University committees, task forces and special assignments.
- Represent the University to external organizations and associations and at local and national professional organizations.
- Ensure Access & Equity in the admission process at Chatham; ensure that selective enrollment management standards are followed and admitted students meet academic and other standards.
- Actively seek ways to aid other departments in achieving enrollment objectives not necessarily under direct control or accountability.
- Other duties as assigned.