Senior Business Analyst
Job Title: Senior Business Analyst
Location: Case Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 8511
The Senior Business Analyst (SBA) works with a high degree of independence under the general direction of the VP of Campus Services as well as Director of Finance and Administration on projects of divisional significance and scope. The SBA is responsible for the management of Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytics to promote and support the effective use of data by key decision makers in support of the University's strategic goals, while working with key stakeholders across the University to identify and implement business critical BI capabilities. The SBA, working collaboratively with the Director of Finance and other central Campus Services (CS) staff, is further responsible for the development and support of self-service reports, executive level dashboards and strategic reports, visual and advanced analytics, and business recommendations. The SBA will import, transform, and rationalize data from systems of record and provide transparency and insight to lead to effective decision making.
- Design, create and manage strategic metrics collection and reporting processes. Lead the development and management of support tools in partnership with stakeholders. Integrate new decision support tools with existing processes, tools and analysis. (20%)Design and monitor benchmarks to evaluate and interpret profitability, performance and business metrics. Identify and recommend cost saving/optimization opportunities in accordance with cost optimization initiatives for Campus Services. Develop data and analytical models to identify trends to improve service delivery and the customer (students and faculty and staff). Develop and implement reports, queries and other analyses to be used in developing deliverables and financial queries. (15%)Evaluate and analyze benchmark statistics. Perform and report on return on investment and/or total cost of ownership associated with capital related of operational initiatives. Communicate to appropriate stakeholders and work closely with the strategic leadership teams and Campus Services for interpretation and on-going communication plans. (15%)Manage the service performance monitoring and evaluation process, including: aggregating data from source systems (i.e., ERP, Jaggaer, Business Objects), collating, compiling operational metric data into key performance indicator (KPI) operational reports, analyzing data to identify trends and root causes for performance issues, and summarizing findings into an executive summary. (15%)Responsible for monitoring service performance and proactively identifying opportunities for continuous improvement through data analysis and by soliciting improvement ideas from shared services, business partners and the university community. (15%)Extract data from university systems and use spreadsheets, database tools, and other techniques to perform analyses and develop statistical reporting on university financial data. Analyze trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations incurred to predict future operating and capital expenditures. (15%)
Perform other duties as assigned. (5%)
Department: Regular contact with Vice President of Campus Services, all divisional directors to collaborate and work on project and process improvement.
University: Regular contact with others within the university (e.g., university budget office staff, management center business officers and Controller office staff) to provide financial data and analyses.
Regular contact with others within the university (administrative departments, faculty and staff) to facilitate new and ongoing analytics reports.
External: Regular contact with the university’s business partners, outside vendors, contractors and consultants management users to optimize solutions and models. Infrequent contact with auditors to provide information.
Students: Little contact with students.
No direct supervisory responsibility.
Experience: 3 to 5 years related experience required. Financial analysis experience and analytics preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Experience supporting financial management processes and practices such as budgeting, cost allocations, capital and operating expense management preferred.
- Strong computer skills – Advanced features of current versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, required. Windows 7 or higher. Internet research abilities. Tableau experience. Proficient with databases. Knowledge of Visio preferred.
- Familiarity with price and cost analysis principles.
- Strong skills related to return on investment (ROI), total cost of ownership (TCO) analysis.
- Ability to quickly comprehend complex spreadsheets/data.
- Strong ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to make effective presentations.
- Must be team orientated and collaborative.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop creative solutions to complex financial and administrative issues.
- Ability to take initiative and produce results in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing needs and diverse responsibilities.
- Proven professional demeanor with tact, courtesy, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to work well under constantly changing deadlines and priorities.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently, and function with limited supervision. Displays initiative, enthusiasm, and a strong sense of responsibility.
- Accountability/integrity, customer/quality focus, diversity/maturity, flexibility/receptivity, interpersonal relations, leadership/supervision, planning/organizing, project management, self-development.
- Ability to work as part of a team, being able to play the roles of team leader and team player as required. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
Typical office setting may be stressful in requiring high output and efficiency demands.Diversity Statement
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Equity at 216-368-3066 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.