Admissions Counselor, SETX North #495055 - Previous Applicants Need Not Apply
Posting DetailsPosting Number20111985Position TitleAdmissions Counselor, SETX North #495055 - Previous Applicants Need Not ApplyFTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentEnrollment ServicesJob Summary/Basic Function
Lamar University admissions counselors are responsible for recruiting prospective students by promoting Lamar University programs to undergraduate and graduate students, pre-admission advisement and matriculation to ensure enrollment goals are met. The admissions counselor should be well versed in networking, undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and the college course numbering system.
Lamar University is currently hiring an on-campus admission counselor. The admissions counselor reports directly to the Assistant Director of Recruitment.
• Recruit prospective students by roving accurate and timely – pre-admission advisement to prospective students, parents, families and other members of the public.
• Network with contacts in junior colleges, community colleges, and technical institutions of higher learning who already have a signed memorandum of understanding, to help establish an articulation agreement (program to program) with departments at the undergraduate level.
• Providing knowledgeable and professional representation of Lamar University with students in groups, one-on-one, and during on and off campus events to increase community awareness.
• Working directly with high schools, community colleges, technical centers, businesses, community-based organizations, current Lamar University undergraduate departments and other constituencies in activities designed to prepare students for an easier transition to a Lamar University undergraduate or graduate program.
• Facilitating the pre-admission and conversion process through various sales methods to include, but not limited to: automated and personalized communication, college fairs and high school visits, pre-screened cold calling, presentations, etc.
• Assisting prospective students and their families with the ApplyTexas application, the Federal Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA), the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA), and other items that are needed to undergraduate students.
• Maintaining and expanding prospective student recruitment through lead generation, prospect guidance, and matriculation assistance.
• Researching prospective student history, following through on leads, and maintaining records on assigned recruiting territory.
• Attending events and making presentations to communicate with prospective students and their families to promote Lamar University and its programs.
• Evaluating prospective student needs and building productive relationships by providing individualized assistance with educational goal identification, program selection, payment/financial aid planning, and paths degree and/or certificate completion.
• Corresponding professionally with students offering advice, resources, or referral to other campus resources.
• Advising the Assistant Director of Recruitment on significant matters and supporting other members of the team in meeting foals and expectations.
• Contributes information and supports team efforts by accomplishing goals, monitoring competition and reactions from prospective students.
• Addressing issues and inquiries from prospective students, parents, families, and other members of the public in a timely and professional manner.
• Participating in staff development programs and campus functions. Make recommendations regarding the website and publications to promote campus visit programs.
• Work with recruitment leadership to develop communication plans as a follow-up to campus visits.
• Attend various functions that merit Lamar University’s attendance.
• Performs all other essential duties as assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Required Knowledge, Skills/Abilities:
•Contacts with coworkers from other organizational units of the University
•Tact and judgment are requirements in obtaining or giving information of a confidential nature
•Comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgment and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization
•Demonstrated time-management skills, ability to multitask, and meet deadlines
•Ability to work and communicate effectively and respectfully with diverse populations
•Strong interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving skills, and demonstrated skills in oral and written communication
•Presentation and Public Speaking skills
•Bachelor’s degree required
•Valid Driver’s license required
•Experience recruiting a diverse and varied student populations including low socioeconomic (SES), first generation, and other groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education preferred
•Sales experience and familiarity with customer relationship management systems, relationship selling, and other sales techniques preferred
•Admissions Counselors are expected to travel extensively within Lamar University’s recruitment zones. Evening and weekend hours will be required.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred QualificationsSecurity Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date10/07/2020Close Date10/21/2020Open Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree?
- * In what field did you earn your Bachelor's degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Do you have a valid driver's license?
- * If you have a valid drivers license, what is the state and expiration date?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience recruiting a diverse and varied student population including low socioeconomic (SES), first generation, and other groups of traditionally underrepresented in higher education?
- * How many years of experience do you have in sales and with selling techniques or related sales experience?
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 5+ years
- * This position is expected to travel extensively within Lamar University's recruitment zones. Evening and weekend hours will be required. Are you able to meet these requirements?
- Letter of Interest
- Official Transcript 1