Assistant Academic Advisor, PSS4
Welcome to Rowan University’s Career Site
Rowan University is a Carnegie-classified Doctoral University (Moderate Research Activity) with approximately 19,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven academic colleges and five schools—the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Ric Edelman College of Communication & Creative Arts, the Colleges of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment—with an Honors College that spans across disciplines. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 90 public research universities and the 7th fastest growing research institution in the nation.
Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. For the complete Rowan University non-discrimination and affirmative action policy see: https://sites.rowan.edu/equity/_docs/policies/eeo-statement.pdf.
Rowan University is committed to assisting all members of the Rowan community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available on the Department of Public Safety website at: https://sites.rowan.edu/publicsafety/_docs/annual_security_report.pdf
If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report which contains this information, you can stop by the Department of Public Safety Office, located at Bole Hall Annex, 201 Mullica Hill Road, Glassboro, NJ 08028 or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (856) 256-4562 or 4506. The report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention, public safety authority, crime reporting policies, fire safety, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about fire statistics in Rowan University Residential Facilities and crime statistics for the three previous calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. This information is required by federal law, Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act or "Clery Act" and is provided by the Rowan University Department of Public Safety.
Nondiscrimination at Rowan University: Pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and supporting regulations, Rowan does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the education programs or activities that it operates; this extends to admission and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX and its supporting regulations may be directed to the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education or to the University’s Associate Vice President and Title IX Coordinator:
Monise Princilus, Ed.S.
Associate Vice President and Title IX Coordinator
Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Office of Student Equity & Compliance
Savitz Hall, Suite 203
201 Mullica Hill Rd, Glassboro, NJ 08028
For information on the Title IX Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault policy and grievance procedures, please click here.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
Assistant Academic Advisor, PSS4
Job no: 494496
Work type: Regular full time
Location: Glassboro, New Jersey
Position Summary for UAS Academic Advisors: This Assistant Academic Advisor will report to the relevant Associate Director of University Advising Services. The Assistant Academic Advisor will assist students in many aspects of the advising process, including supporting student understanding and application of University and program policies, requirements, and opportunities.
Initial Placement: Computer Science Department
Assistant Academic Advisor
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise students about academic requirements and selection of courses, in the form of both individual and group sessions
- Provide career advising as it relates to major and course selection
- Consult with Senior Academic Advisor and/or Associate Director regarding problematic academic progress issues, interactions with parents, student complaints, etc.; refer any problems or difficult situations which arise to leadership
- Review and interpret placement and other standardized test scores, unofficial transcripts, and course prerequisites
- Use data and reports regarding academic progress for monitoring student progress and outreach.
- Stay abreast of institutional information including admissions requirements, academic programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in university-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and federal mandates
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of degree program requirements
- Understand and interpret for students the University’s academic standing policy
- Provide guidance on relevant institutional policies and procedures
- One (1) year of professional experience working with students in a post-secondary educational institution or other appropriate educational setting. A Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling in Education Settings, Student Personnel Services, or another field relevant to the position is equivalent to one year of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Significant experience providing support services in a higher education setting
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Counseling in Education Settings, Student Personnel Services, or another field relevant to the position.
- Experience advising across a range of curricula preferred
- Experience in the relevant academic discipline(s)
- Experience working with students with a variety of academic interests and abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive, e-mail, student information systems (Banner, DegreeWorks)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills
- High level of customer service skills
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
Starting Date: December 2020
Salary Range: 18
Rowan University celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, race, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, (dis)ability status, military status, and other NJ protected classes. Rowan University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment as required by Title IX. Rowan is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with (dis)abilities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Christy Mroz, Administrative Assistant, [email protected], 856-256-5494. Rowan strongly encourages applicants from underrepresented groups to apply.
Advertised: Oct 7 2020 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Oct 21 2020 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time