Posting DetailsJob TitleIrrigation SpecialistDepartmentFE&P GroundskeepingFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21125Open Date10/07/2020Close Date11/04/2020Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with seasonally modified schedule within 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. window.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
Rice Grounds’ team of thirty-plus professionals maintains our 300-acre tree-lined campus while creating first impressions. We support the university’s mission of teaching and research through our effective and innovative stewardship of the campus landscape resources which includes our irrigation system. The irrigation specialist monitors the daily operation of campus irrigation systems while performing maintenance and completing repairs to university standards. He/she assists with planning, designing and installing new irrigation systems. Success in this role requires a commitment to teamwork, constant improvement, and dedication to first-class customer service “with no upper limit.”Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education RequirementMay substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required2 yearsType of Experience
Related experience in commercial landscape maintenance and experience with irrigation system installation, operation, maintenance and repairsSubstitution for Experience RequirementMay substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Five years of on the job experience with irrigation installation, operation and maintenance
- Some experience programming “smart” controllers
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) irrigation technician license required or the ability to obtain the license within 12 months
- Valid Texas Driver’s License (or ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment) required with no more than three moving violations or at fault accidents within the past 36 months and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the last five years
- TCEQ irrigation technician
- TCEQ landscape irrigator
- Knowledge of irrigation systems
- Ability to follow instructions
- Good knowledge of grounds maintenance
- Knowledge of proper equipment use and maintenance
- Knowledge of irrigation design
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Internal: Frequent contact with university staff, faculty, and students
External: Contact with public outside the UniversityPhysical Demands
Must be able to lift loads no greater than 50 lbs. Must be able to climb stairs, ladders, scaffolding, and work around confined areas with piping and wiring obstructions, as needed, to access equipment. Requires moderate to heavy physical activity, including bending, stooping, climbing, balancing, standing, and walking up to eight hours per day. Occasionally required to enter utility tunnels and confined spaces.Working Conditions
- Requires working in an outdoor environment under harsh conditions regularly
- Some overtime or flexibility in scheduling may be necessary to meet deadlines
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24777Essential Functions
- Assists with sprinkler system installation
- Repairs and replaces pumps, main feeder and lateral lines, PVC pipes, sprinkler heads, radio controlled valves and controls, and electronically controlled water sensors
- Replaces low voltage wiring
- Sets and updates watering schedule for sprinkler system; completes sprinkler system preventative maintenance program
- Monitors grounds during special events to insure protection of system; reports grounds condition and water or plant losses due to system malfunction
- Supports water conservation efforts
- Keeps abreast of current trends in irrigation systems by reviewing publications and attending lectures and conferences
- Performs all other duties assigned
- Adapts to changes in seasonal work load by filling in with other Grounds personnel as assigned by supervisor
- Modifies existing irrigation to improve coverage or allow for construction activities
- Rapidly responds to address emergency leaks or malfunctions
- Repairs broken irrigation components such as pipes, heads, nozzles, valves, etc.
- Troubleshoots and repairs electrical components
- Monitors and programs irrigation controllers for proper and efficient operation
- Performs preventative maintenance to correct performance including elevation adjustments of heads, valves, and valve boxes
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent, or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have two or more years of related experience in commercial landscape maintenance and experience with irrigation system installation, operation, maintenance and repairs or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * Do you have a current TCEQ irrigation technician license or the ability to obtain the license within 12 months of employment?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years?
- * This an essential staff position. Are you willing and able to report to work during severe weather conditions?
- * Describe your relevant irrigation experience. What were some of the your responsibilities?
(Open Ended Question)