Assistant Librarian for eResources
Spartanburg Methodist College, founded in 1911, is a private residential liberal arts institution serving a diverse student population (38% first generation, 52% minority, 59% Pell) within the United Methodist Connection. Since its founding as the first co-op school in the nation, SMC has remained dedicated to its mission to connect education and employment. After over 100 years as an Associate Degree granting institution, the college launched its first bachelor’s degree in 2019. Today, the college’s emphasis on education and employment includes a unique professional development concentration comprised of eight required courses for students seeking associate and bachelor’s degrees.Assistant Librarian for eResources
All employees of Spartanburg Methodist College are entrusted with assisting the College to achieve its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations of all employees.
The position of Assistant Librarian (eResources) is a full-time, professional staff position reporting to the Director of the Learning Resource Center/Head Librarian.
The Assistant Librarian for eResources maintains and enhances the Library’s website and web-based tools, oversees the acquisitions and maintenance of the Library’s online resources, assists library patrons with technology related issues in the library, and assists in maintaining monthly/annual statistics for reporting. Also participates in the delivery of information/reference services, including information literacy instruction, through both traditional and virtual means. This position is responsible for operations and security of the library during evening hours.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of best practices for managing and using electronic resources.
- Knowledge of Library-Specific and General Web-based Tools/Electronic Resources.
- Experience working with integrated library systems, preferably ExLibris.
- Experience with OCLC EZproxy.
- Understanding of emerging library technologies and how they serve users.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to determine effectively the root cause of systems issues and implement the appropriate solution.
- Due to the rapidly changing environment of the information world, the successful candidate will need to be flexible, willing to explore new areas and learn new skills, and be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse student body.
- A thorough understanding of the principles of librarianship as they relate to all aspects of an academic library.
- Education or experience providing library reference assistance, either in-person and/or virtual.
- Experience creating online guides and instructional tools, including using LibGuides.
- A knowledge of computers, computer software, and computer applications in a library and in the teaching/learning environment.
This work is normally performed in an office environment and will require significant contact with students and faculty members. This library is two stories with no elevator.
Hours: Monday-Thursday 12 pm – 9 pm, Friday 9:30 am - 3pm. Hours will be adjusted to meet the needs of the College when students will not need evening access.
- Light physical exertion that includes moving around the library.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, move from one area of the building to another on a regular basis, sit, and use a computer for a long period of time.
- Manual and physical dexterity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on a computer display screen, in hand-written form, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
Education and Experience:
- Education: Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
- Experience working with electronic resources
Download SMC's job application, fill out and submit to:
Director of Human Resources
Spartanburg Methodist College
1000 Powell Mill Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301.
Application materials may also be submitted electronically to [email protected]
- Application open until filled.
Spartanburg Methodist College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status in any personnel action regarding the recruiting, hiring, and promotion of faculty and staff members.
This job description provides a representative summary of the nature and responsibilities of the position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all duties and responsibilities which may be modified at any time. The job description is not intended to imply or to create a contract of employment.