Data Analyst🔍School of Engineering, Stanford, California, United States📁Information Analytics📅Oct 07, 2020 Post Date📅87473 Requisition #Job Title: Data Analyst
Job Code: 4744
Job Grade: G
FTE: 100%, Exempt, 1 Year Fixed Term
Department: Management Science and Engineering, Computational Policy Lab
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems. The Department of Management Science and Engineering, in the School of Engineering, leads at the interface of engineering, business, and public policy. The department’s mission is, through education and research, to advance the design, management, operation, and interaction of technological, economic, and social systems. MS&E website: https://msande.stanford.edu MS&E is seeking a data analyst who will perform research with the Computational Policy Lab (https://policylab.stanford.edu/). Your responsibilities will include:
- To identify and select usable datasets for projects. Manage and clean datasets using an extraction and reporting programming language to ensure data integrity, and apply methods to validate data to ensure high quality results.
- In consultation with project managers, assess and produce relevant, standard, or custom information (reports, charts, graphs and tables) from structured data sources by querying data repositories and generating the associated information.
- Help create written reports for applicable agencies, researchers, management and other internal end-users and provide interpretation of data when needed.
- Assist in preparing presentations for stakeholders.
- Research and reconcile data discrepancies occurring among various information systems and reports.
- Collaborate with project managers to define and implement data standards and common data elements for data collection.
- Read and summarize relevant literature on statistical methods related to a project.
- *Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or a combination of education and relevant experience. Experience in a quantitative discipline such as economics, finance, statistics or engineering.
- Basic knowledge and demonstrated experience using and applying analytical software, database management system software, database reporting software, database user interface and query software, and data mining software.
- Ability to collect data using a variety of methods, such as data mining and hardcopy or electronic documentation study, to improve or expand databases.
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple activities in a deadline-oriented environment; highly organized, flexible and rigorous attention to detail.
- Ability to use logic to calculate data; efficiently construct a database or scrutinize the form of a question.
- Ability to work with data of varying levels of quality and validity.
- Demonstrated ability to produce data in a clear and understandable manner meeting user requirements.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple internal and external customers.
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making. Physical Requirements
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
- Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
- May work extended hours during peak business cycles.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4744
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 87473