Assistant Vice Chancellor and State Director
Posting DetailsPosting NumberPG190653EPInternal Recruitment NoWorking TitleAssistant Vice Chancellor and State DirectorAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with Education and ExperienceWork ScheduleMonday - Friday 8am-5pm with occasional evening and weekend work as needed.Job LocationRaleigh, NCDepartment About the Department
The Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC) is a multi-campus inter-institutional program authorized in 1984 by the Board of Governors of The University of North Carolina. It functions as a Business and Technology Extension Program of The University System and is administered through North Carolina State University. Its offices across the state are hosted by the constituent institutions of The University.
The primary mission of the SBTDC is to support economic growth and development in the state by providing assistance to existing small and medium sized businesses and new business startups. It also has a lead role in facilitating technology development and transfer within the state’s small business community. In carrying out its mission, the SBTDC leverages significant federal, state, and private funding for its operations and is engaged with a broad range of state agencies, economic and business development resources and the constituent institutions of The University.
Co-located with the SBTDC, the NC Procurement Technical Assistance Program (PTAC) provides comprehensive assistance to businesses around selling products and services to local, state and federal government agencies.Essential Job Duties
This is the chief executive level position for the University’s Business and Technology Extension Programs. This includes SBTDC, PTAC, and other programs as awarded. The position is relatively autonomous and will manage a significant resource base (staff and budget). The incumbent will have significant public representation responsibilities and play the leading role in developing and managing statewide programs and the resources necessary to support them.
As the chief executive officer of the SBTDC, the incumbent will have direct responsibility for the following:
• Providing overall direction and leadership to SBTDC, PTAC and other statewide program staff to achieve the organization’s strategic objectives
• Establishing and maintaining strong working relationships within The UNC System and with key stakeholders in the governmental, economic development, and business communities as necessary and appropriate to support and expand the operations of the SBTDC
• Developing and implementing policies and procedures to effectively direct and monitor organizational performance and achieve measurable outcomes
• Identifying and recommending membership on the Statewide Advisory Board and other bodies
• Establishing regional service centers and supporting and monitoring their operations
• Establishing cooperative relationships with small business service providers and with the small business community
• Undertaking long-range planning and initiating new program development
• Sustaining existing funding and acquiring new funding to support growth
• Recruiting, selecting and training of staff
• Disseminating information about the Center and services available
• Working with other organizations in the design of programs to facilitate small business development
• Assuring that all operations of the SBTDC and all other programs are properly implemented, managed and reported
This position also serves as the principal investigator and provides senior management level oversight for the NC PTAC Program, which maintains statewide offices co-located with the SBTDC at constituent institutions of the UNC System.Other Responsibilities
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education
• MBA, law degree or other advanced degree in a relevant field; or a bachelor’s degree and significant, directly relevant business development and/or business/financial experience
• At least twelve (12) years of economic development, small business management or business consulting is required, greater experience is preferredOther Required Qualifications
• Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple projects
• Significant experience managing personnel with diverse skill / expertise levels and developing and managing resources to support the SBTDC program
• Strong analytical abilities necessary and written and oral communication skills
• Ability to relate well to people from diverse backgrounds and capable of working effectively within both the academic and business communities
- A valid NC Drivers License is required for this position.
N/ARequired License(s) or Certification(s)
N/AValid NC Driver's License requiredNoCommercial Driver's License requiredNoJob Open Date10/06/2020Anticipated Close DateOpen Until Filled.Special Instructions to ApplicantsPosition Number00065017Position TypeSAAO Tier IIFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week)1.00Appointment12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse WeatherMandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency EventsNon Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoDepartment ID262101 - Small Business Technology Development CenterAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References