Web Developer, Arts & Sciences Communications office
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-21
The University of Virginia College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences Communications office is seeking a creative and energetic individual who can help us design, develop, and maintain high-quality websites, landing pages, and other web-based applications. This job is an excellent opportunity for someone with web development experience looking to expand their skills and abilities and work in a vibrant, multi-faceted atmosphere with some of the finest academic departments in higher education.
The College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is the largest of the 12 schools at the University of Virginia, with over 12,000 students, 47 academic departments and programs, and numerous centers and institutes. Our communications group within the Office of the Dean supports an extensive network of Drupal-based websites designed to provide our departments and programs with an excellent online presence. Our websites attract current and prospective students, parents, academic faculty, and many others from all over the world.
In this position, you will have the opportunity to be an essential member of our small team. You will be involved in a wide variety of tasks and projects, including design, theming, site building, and content management.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Web Development or a related discipline. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum one year of experience in web development. Higher education experience is a plus.
- Experience working with content management systems such as Drupal or WordPress, including theme development, site building, and providing ongoing support to content managers.
- Familiarity with hosting operations, version control, and GIT would be highly valued, but not a requirement.
- Willingness and enthusiasm for learning new systems and technologies.
- Willingness to ask questions or ask for help when the task or solution isn’t straightforward or when you encounter problems or obstacles.
- Strong communication and listening skills that allow you to understand and communicate effectively with our UVA faculty and staff clients.
This is a full-time position operating during regular business hours, but with the flexibility to adjust your schedule (especially during COVID). Although our staff is currently working from home, this position is envisioned as an in-office position, though other arrangements can be considered. Post-COVID, we will likely return to being primarily in our offices on UVA Grounds, with some flexibility to work some from home.
The preferred location for this position is Charlottesville, Virginia; remote workplace may be considered. If a remote workplace is approved, a formal telecommuting agreement will be required.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $50,000 - $55,000 commensurate with education and experience.
This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
***Please note that all required documents MUST be uploaded in the "RESUME" box and documents can be combined.***
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs search for requisition #R0019081 (or through Workday for internal applicants) complete the application and attach the following:
- Cover letter - addressing why you are interested in this position, how your experience has prepared you and demonstrated experience working on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion and/or working with diverse populations.
- Contact information for three references.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
For questions about the position, please contact Zachary Wheat, Director of Digital Communications, at email@example.com. For questions about the application process, please contact Nicole Robinson, Academic Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.