Migrant Education Program Specialist
Posting DetailsPosition Number014535Functional TitleMigrant Education Program SpecialistPosition TypeResearchPosition EclassEP - EHRA 12 mo leave earningUniversity Information
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit
The SERVE Center is a university-based research, development, dissemination, evaluation, and technical assistance center. Through customized research and evaluation services, SERVE delivers actionable insights for both policymakers and practitioners. From large-scale experimental studies to small-scale qualitative work on topics ranging from early childhood to high school reform, SERVE builds the capacity of educators and policymakers to improve educational outcomes for students of all ages.Position Summary
The primary purpose of the Program Specialist position is to ensure that the NCDPI Migrant Education Program is implemented and that the grant is implemented in accordance with federal and state guidelines. The position will collaborate with staff from the Federal Program Monitoring and Support Division and with those engaged in the statewide system of support for North Carolina to manage the program and develop mechanisms to ensure the services and outcomes of the grant with regard to identifying and recruiting migrant students; providing high quality supplemental and support services and fostering coordination among schools, agencies, organizations, and businesses to assist migrant families are met.
The purpose of this position is to gather and analyze the data from LEAs against the expected outcomes provided by the federal program.Minimum Qualifications
- Masters Degree in educational field, or Bachelors with two (2) or more years progressively responsible educational experience – to include school and/or district level leadership positions.
- Knowledge of implementing federally-funded programs to support K-12 education, including State Education Agencies (SEAs), Local Education Agencies (LEAs), and schools.
- Experience with supporting by translating research to practice and using data to assist low-performing, high-poverty, and/or rural school initiatives and efforts.
- Experience in researching, writing, and editing publications.
- Experience in meeting planning and facilitation.
- Experience in developing materials and products for training and professional development offerings, and for broad dissemination.
- Experience in the use of online learning/virtual instruction (e.g., webinars, online communities) and technology to support communication (e.g., websites, listservs).
- Experience with MS Word, PowerPoint, and other applications for developing and preparing materials for meetings, professional learning events, and for online and print publication.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong teamwork, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a collaborative team of colleagues.
- Sensitivity in working with diverse groups.
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of at least three (3) professional references that includes:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.Recruitment RangeCommensurate with ExperienceOrg #-DepartmentSERVE - 12004Job Open Date10/08/2020For Best Consideration DateJob Close DateOpen Until FilledYesFTE1.000Type of AppointmentPermanentIf time-limited, please specify end date for appointment.Number of Months per Year12FLSAExemptKey Responsibilities ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Percentage Of Time40%Key Responsibility
Program RecruitmentEssential Tasks
- Research migrant student populations, develop and implement programs to identify and recruit migrant students on behalf of NCDPI.
- Maintain appropriate documentation for USED and audit review, and to ensure internal control processes; and Utilize NCCIP, NCCFDC, and NCDPI budgeting system as needed.
- Ensure compliance and accurate reporting under grant guidelines.
Technical assistance and supportEssential Tasks
- Analyze data related to performance, compare to benchmarks then design technical assistance and online training to improve performance. Develop and implement a high quality supplemental and support services plan.
- Evaluate state and regional programs to allow development of content to conduct regional/service area meetings with a focus on statewide and regional needs, current federal compliance, and general federal program updates.
- Support organization and agency meetings/conferences as appropriate to represent the work of the section, present quality information, and coordinate with the work of others. Serve on and contribute to Service Support Teams and Comprehensive Needs Assessment teams.
- Utilize technology (e.g., GotoMeeting, GotoWebinar) to develop and conduct technical assistance for sessions LEAs/charter schools; and Develop and coordinate the dissemination of resources to assist LEAs/charter schools with federal program implementation.
Program Coordination and CollaborationEssential Tasks
- Foster coordination among schools, agencies, organizations, and businesses to assist migrant families.
- Collaborate with other states to enhance the continuity of education for migrant students.
Other DutiesEssential Tasks
- Dissemination of research under the grant and writing publications.
- Other duties as needed.
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship?