Lead Administrative Officer (7378U) 11765
Lead Administrative Officer (7378U) 11765 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 20, 2020
The Graduate School of Education (GSE) is a professional school that offers doctoral degrees with 12 concentrations, master's degrees, master's/credentials programs, and an undergraduate minor degree. In addition to research, the school is highly visible in its international, national, state-wide, and local outreach, professional development, and enrichment programs. The Leadership Programs match the overall scope of the GSE. Its offerings include 1 professional doctorate (EdD), the Principal Leadership Institute (MA + Preliminary Administrative Services Credential), Leadership Support (Clear Administrative Services Credential), the 21CSLA State Center (a grant-funded project of the California Department of Education), 21CSLA Regional Center, and other grant and revenue generated work. The current budget of the Leadership Programs is approximately $5 million annually and involves 4 directors, 3 coordinators, as well as over 40 lecturers, field program supervisors, graduate student researchers, and other staff.
As a member of the Leadership Program's senior leadership team - the role of this position is pivotal to both the GSE and Leadership Program's operations and central to its mission. This position will play make major contributions toward long and short-range strategic planning in determining the operational activities, serve as a key leader in administrative operations in finance and human resources administration across Research Administration and GSE This position will be a key player in assisting with program coordination and planning.
- Under minimal Supervision, manages, plans and administers a range of administrative services working in concert with other senior administrators.
- Administrative operations include budgetary financial management and human resources and some areas of facilities/space planning, committee service, business contracts, safety coordination, and special projects as assigned.
- Serves on committees representing the school or within the school. Provides input into non-technical portions of business contracts. MOUs, and service agreements.
- Working with the Executive Director by assisting current and potential staffing levels and spaces allocation. Organizes data by functional areas, FTE, and headcount. Ascertains the area of growth within the school and projects future space, staffing, and financial needs.
- Coordinates a variety of human resources activities: Independently coordinates and oversees all aspects of human resources administration including classification, recruitment, onboarding, training, development, employment, compensations, evaluation, and performance management. Additionally, prepare UCPath actions including Position Numbers, Funding Entry, and Direct Retros. Serves as the Leadership Programs liaison for human resources with Pros Region HR and central HR. Researches and keeps abreast of campus policy to ensure compliance. Provide guidance to supervisors and feasibility actions.
Budget and Finance
- Award Set up: Verify that the budget allocation, and complete uploads according to approved budget allocation. Coordinate with Subawardees to gather forms and coordinate with Pros Regional Research to submit to Sponsored Projects office for review and approval. Work with campus Business Contract Office in preparing agreements and upload agreements for their review. Respond to any questions that may come up from the Business Contracts team may have, and after execution provides an invoice and prepare for deposit.
- Expenditure Review: Verify expenses are allowable and allocable based on the term of the award and consistent with the campus policy, verify fund/ source/ chartstring identified is accurate. Update sub awardee tracking spreadsheet to reflect approved invoices and expense tracking. Schedule regular meetings with GSE Business Office and Pros Region Research Administration to review projections, expenditures, and discuss possible human resources actions, payroll transfers, and expenditure transfer. Initiate financial journals or transfers payroll expenses in a timely fashion. After meeting reconcile discussed actions against the ledger, and HR system. Independently research and resolve any complex issues that may arise.
- May need to work with GSE Business Office and Pros Region business and finance team in gathering documents for vendoring. Additionally, prepare, organize, and compile any necessary information for independent contracts. Respond to any questions campus partners may have.
- Create and update a projection tool to monitor and reconcile spending according to the approved budget. Provide support to the PI and senior administrators in the reporting process to the funder by coordinating with partners and gather necessary information, ensure that the information is completed and formatted according to reporting requirements. Work with campus partners to resolve post-award issues that require additional attention. Work with Pros Region Research Administration to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting requirements to the PI's Sponsor.
- Support senior administration to prepare the necessary information for no-cost extensions or award or subaward closeouts, and subsequently coordinate with the Pros Region RA and Contract and Grants Accounting in their processing.
- Advanced knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University rules and regulations, processes, protocols, and procedures for budget, account and fund management, personal management.
- Advanced knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques, human resources policies, and procedures for staff and academic employees.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations activities such as space planning, emergency preparedness, business contracts, and financial management guidelines including payroll, accounting, and employee benefits.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge and expertise in the area of general accounting and fund management.
- Knowledge of or ability to quickly learn common University-specific computer application programs, including CalPlanning, Human Capital Planning, and pivotal tables.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with Filemaker, a database program. Advanced knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Able to Identify and analyze information from a variety of sources.
- Interpersonal communication skills to include verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness. Advising and counseling skills.
- Strong skills in short-term planning, analysis and problem-solving, and customer service.
- Able to work independently and multitask own work while overseeing and managing the work delegated to others
- Able to balance competing and conflicting priorities and demands.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is a monthly paid (exempt) position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=11765&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency