Assistant Director for Cyber Defense Education and Training - Information Trust Institute (135908)
Assistant Director for Cyber Defense Education and Training
Information Trust Institute
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Information Trust Institute is a world-leading institution with a focus on creating more trustworthy critical infrastructure. It has been a central part of over $200M of innovation in cyber-physical research over the past decade and continues to advance the state of understanding in this field. Beyond academic publication, ITI researchers work on putting their solutions into practice and working to get them deployed in the real world.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The Information Trust Institute at The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Director for Cyber Defense Education and Training which reports to the Senior Associate Director. The individual in this role will develop and manage CIRI’s (Critical Infrastructure Resilience Institute) DHS (Department of Homeland Security) CISA/CDET (Cyber Defense Education and Training) program to develop a network of universities serving as national institutes delivering practical cyber-security training. This role involves developing in partnership with DHS and partnering “hub” universities a plan for these Institutes that builds a pipeline of students that are consistently and effectively trained in advanced cyber-security topics, and easily hired and effective in a cyber-security position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate participating “hub” universities to
- Develop a plan to provide standardized training which maps to the NICE framework in (a) Industrial Control Systems/Operational Technology security, penetration testing, digital analysis, incident response
- Develop plans for evaluating students achieving NICE framework Knowledge-Skills-Ability (KSA) capabilities
- Provide a path for every student to receive real-life work experiences, e.g., internships
- Identify potential MSI and two-year community colleges for receipt of curricular materials
- Develop a plan for establishment of “communities of interest” in specific topical education areas.
- Develop plan for self-sufficient funding of education delivery
- Develop reporting requirements between “hub” and “spoke” schools
- Develop guidance document for hub school administration, particularly with “spoke” schools
- Develop guidance document for “hub” schools on curriculum creation
- Mapping to the NICE framework and KSAs
- Validating of KSA’s with hands on testing
- Maintaining curriculum
- Lifecycle of curriculum building and maintenance with involvement by communities of interest
- Create documentation, project reports, publications, presentations, and other written material to inform or convey project details
Other duties as assigned
- Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of ITI
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, education, or a related field
- Experience developing technical content for professional training or curriculum development
- Experience conveying technical topics in a clear way to wide audiences
- Experience developing and interpreting cyber topics and integrating them into training programs
Successful candidates will also have:
- Experience with MOOC’s or other online delivery mechanisms
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to convey technical topics in a way that can be understood by wide audience
- Technical understanding of cyber security and its application
- Domain knowledge of Industrial Control Systems
- Strong presentation skills
The Assistant Director for Cyber Defense Education and Training is a full-time, benefits-eligible, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by November 3rd, 2020. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Kelsey Krok at [email protected].The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Assistant Director for Cyber Defense Education and Training - Information Trust Institute (135908) Open Date:10/06/2020 Close Date:11/03/2020 Organization Name:Information Trust Institute